TX Panhandle Bounty

JMc

Super Moderator
Decent day for the Panhandle...a few phez and bob's.

Nice pics, fellas!

How were the numbers compared to last year?
My brother was quail hunting over the weekend in Lamb county, and they flushed one rooster and saw half a dozen on the roads. Doesn't sound like much, but the phez had all but disappeared in that area for several years, and then last year we started seeing one here and there again.

I was born in Plainview, and remember the glory days of the 80s very well.

Hunted all day by myself around Hart TX. Saw one rooster out of range, period. No hens no quail. Was scouting for a late Dec hunt to take my 13 year old son on first ever trip. Now I have concerns about the 9 hour drive. Any suggestions. I have a good lab and tons of experience.

Hunted all day by myself around Hart TX. Saw one rooster out of range, period. No hens no quail. Was scouting for a late Dec hunt to take my 13 year old son on first ever trip. Now I have concerns about the 9 hour drive. Any suggestions. I have a good lab and tons of experience.

I'm not real surprised to hear that pheasant were scarce, but I would've expected that you'd find a covey of quail here and there. I hunt 30 miles southwest of there near Sudan, and the quail numbers look to be good this year. They were actually down a bit last year, even though most other areas had huge numbers.

Are you locked into hunting that same area for your late-Dec hunt? 9 hours of driving from Houston gets you to the Kansas border. Might have a better chance of getting into birds there.

NICE JMc. Opening day was tough around Tulia, hot, dry and very little dog work. Bobs were not bad though

Back