Tuf-foot vs mushers secret - help please

c_d

Pretty sure I've seen both mentioned on here before. My trainer recommended tuf-foot, but i read concerns somewhere about carpet staining. Are these similar products in terms of pad protection?

basically, Fillmore played to hard with my folks' dog. in and out of the pool, chasing each other -- they've got a pebbled concrete that just ripped her feet to shreds. We've got so much concrete in my neighborhood (urban area) that I'd like to toughen/protect her pads. Typically I ride my bike with her 3 times a week as well. but have had to lay off so her feet can recover.

Any reason to do one over the other? either work just fine? Any suggestions/help is appreciated. thanks.

I've tried Tuff Foot. Not sure if it helps or not, rather hard to do a good comparison. I suppose I could do one front and one back foot on the same dog and run them hard till tenderness occurs....... At first I was joking but I may try this. As for Mushers Secret I have zero experiance.

As for carpet being stained I normally apply Tuff Foot than crate the dog immediatly for an hour or so.

As for carpet being stained I normally apply Tuff Foot than crate the dog immediatly for an hour or so.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking I would have to do exactly that. overall, tuff foot seem to work fine for you?

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking I would have to do exactly that. overall, tuff foot seem to work fine for you?

I typically keep my dogs feet pretty tough year around. I use Tuff Foot most of the fall to buy me another day or two on long hunts. I really don't know if it does anything. I am confident it does not do any harm. It sure does stink, but so do my dogs sometimes.

The short of it....... No harm in trying other than a couple bucks and stinky dog feet.

I think these two products really have totally different functions. Tuff Foot is used mainly to toughen the pads on the feet. Mushers Secret is more of a protectant from hot pavement, etc. and to keep snow from sticking between the toes. I tried Tuff Foot years ago and never could see much benefit. I have also used Mushers Secret in recent years to keep the snow from balling up between the toes. It did work okay but you really need to keep applying it every 30-60 minutes. I gave up trying to use it.

thanks guys. Sounds like I should give Tuffoot a try, but no guarantees obviously. I'm not sure of any other way to make sure her feet are tough enough. She walks/runs concrete everyday, and while I thought that would toughen her pads up, I think it's actually been the opposite effect.

Not sure how to toughen up the pads. You sure would think running on concrete and/or gravel would help. I take my Brittany with me when I bike. Last summer she tore up her pads on the bike path. But I have been running her on the same paths this summer with no problems and she runs hard. She pulls me most of the way. This morning we did 5.2 miles.

No doubt we need to be aware of the various surfaces our dogs are running/playing on to prevent injury. But I've never had a pad problem in the field with any of my dogs. Good luck, and if you find a solution be sure to let us know.

Back