True or False

I listened to a radio talk show on pheasant hunting in SD last fall. I guy on there claims that SD releases massive amounts of pen raised birds all over the state. He said he personally seen it done. No one on the show said that it wasn't true, said it would not surprise them any because it would help SD in so many ways. Does anyone know if it's true or not. I would assume it's false.

I have never heard of the State of SD ever releasing any pheasants. I don't think the GFP has the funds to buy and release "massive amounts" of pheasants. SD has always had the most pheasants and the CRP program provided the habitat for the population to explode like it did. Similar to what the Soil Bank days did in the 50's and 60's. Throw in a few mild winters and you have a record number of birds. However, this winter is going to put a big dent in the population for 2010.

I read also have heard that. I can't remember where I read it. I'll try and find the link and post it. I also read last night that they don't. So I guess it just matters where you hear it from which story you're gonna get. but like Dakotazeb was saying, releasing massive amounts of birds would cost massive amounts of money. I assume that they do not release birds as I think it would be more public knowledge if they did. But I'll try and find both links and post them.

I listened to a radio talk show on pheasant hunting in SD last fall. I guy on there claims that SD releases massive amounts of pen raised birds all over the state. He said he personally seen it done. No one on the show said that it wasn't true, said it would not surprise them any because it would help SD in so many ways. Does anyone know if it's true or not. I would assume it's false.

CC, I can assure you this is false and they will be first to tell you that the mortality rate of released birds is way high.

Be careful what you hear on radio talk shows. They're designed to get your blood pressure up.

Well, I suppose one could say that SD releases a lot of pheasants if referring to Game Preserves, clubs or some private individuals who buy and release pheasants for their business or enjoyment. Cabelas releases pheasants on public land with valuable bands on them - shoot one and you win a nice prize.

However the GF&P's does not release any pheasants for the purpose of improving hunting on any private or public land. They might catch and release a bird or two when conducting studies or something related but that's about it.

Selling pheasant chicks and eggs is big business for hatchery,s and private flocks. I don't believe States are into raising and releasing pheasant.

At least in ND I know of some hunting lodges that make sure their clients have roosters available throughout the season.

Back