Truck caps

Was he unhappy with the LEER or the overhead gun vault?
Overhead Vault. Leer is fine, although the single-handle rear window closure didn't hold up. Linkage broke. My cap has the two single twist handles. He said he'd get that next time. Probably won't BE a next time. We're both getting old, lol.

I had a LEER years ago and the cap leaked in the rain after about 3 years. I'll prolly try ARE if I get another cap.

I had a LEER years ago and the cap leaked in the rain after about 3 years. I'll prolly try ARE if I get another cap.
All of mine have leaked after awhile. I always figured with the extreme temperatures and constant flexing from bouncing down the road makes it a given that it’s gonna leak. Only way around it is a suburban but Goose would call you Gucci for driving one…

Overhead Vault. Leer is fine, although the single-handle rear window closure didn't hold up. Linkage broke. My cap has the two single twist handles. He said he'd get that next time. Probably won't BE a next time. We're both getting old, lol.
I toyed around with adding the LEER locker but decided against it. Seemed too much of a pain to pull down all the time.

Regardless of brand, I think getting your cap from a business that specializes in truck caps is important. Somebody that knows how to install them properly and does it frequently.

I have a 2010 Silverado with LEER topper.
Road dust is tough to minimize.
One product that helped with my bed was Rok Block
with prevents road dust coming thru that gap between the tailgate and bed.

I just bought an ARE for my new truck. So far I am very impressed with the quality. I did get it with carpet on the inside, single handle back window, and sportsman side windows (they open, have screens, and door locks). I didn't get any lights as the OEM box lights seem to do a great job.
I think we ordered the same cap. I installed a battery powered led light strip that works for what I needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 15
Blows me away how expensive truck caps get. Topper with decked system or drawers, ideal for outdoor adventures. My truck just does to much other shit to make it practical I think. Maybe not though.. hmm

All of mine have leaked after awhile. I always figured with the extreme temperatures and constant flexing from bouncing down the road makes it a given that it’s gonna leak. Only way around it is a suburban but Goose would call you Gucci for driving one…
My leer is 13 yo and never leaked a drop except when I leave the side window open in the rain

Thinking about getting one for my hunting and fishing truck. What are you guys using? Must have features? I know I want the side windows that open, lock and has screen windows.
Where we live the three main brands are Snug Top, Leer, and A.R.E. They are are decent canopies. The prices have gone up dramatically and if your good with used I’d favor online classifieds such as Facebook, OfferUp, and Craigslist for a used canopy. On my last several trucks I was able to find a used canopy and have it color matched to my truck while spending about 1/3 the price of a new one. Lots of guys buy used trucks and don’t want the canopy, cap, camper shell- whatever you call it in your neck of the woods. Also most trucks build the same model for several years so you don’t always have to look for the exact year vehicle. Example: I own a 2018 f150 crew 6.5 bed. Ford built the same model cab/bed from 2015/2020. Good luck in your search- cash talks!

Back