treehouse masters...

Toad

So Wednesday was the rifle deer opener here in KS, and I still have a doe tag so I went out. I was absolutely freezing my berries off, not seeing a dang thing for three hours...:mad: Apparently after three hours of hypothermia you can really have some great hallucinations, because I have decided to build myself a treehouse/deer stand at the farm.

Sure, I casually think about building a treehouse every time I watch an episode of treehouse masters, but it's time to start cutting and hammering!

Just wondering if anybody on the forum has a slick deer setup they would care to share with me.:thumbsup: I have seen some elevated blinds in the past, and they look a lot nicer than the rock I was sitting on Wednesday.:eek:
I'm thinking a little treehouse would be pretty slick, maybe with space for a little heater, and wide enough I could lay down and take a nap if I feel like it.

My hang-on and ladder stands are great for bowhunting early in the year, but I'm ready to class up my cold weather hunting! Thoughts?

Hey Toad that's a cool idea,what took you so long to think of that:10sign:
Have fun guy....

Me and a couple buddies had a pretty sweet tree house in the river when we were young, man we had some fun out there.

I had to do hand to hand combat with a coon (ratcoon guys:)) in one once:D
I kicked him out the door:eek:. I got cut up some:( Moral of the story knock before you enter:D

I think I will build one some time this spring / summer.
My SIL and a good friend went the last two day, and saw nothing. But on the bright side, they froze ;)

I would like to see some good designs too.

After building one myself a while back I can tell you the biggest design element is deciding how to handle the "windows". Something quite and simple to operate, glass or no glass. The box itself is fairly straight forward.

Something to remember if you do put actual windows in your blind. If you have a heater in the blind and a nice buck walks up when you slide the window open and stick your gun out you better be shooting iron sights cause that scope won't do you much good coated in fog.

I have a deer stand, enclosed with sliding windows.
This is a rifle stand, shots are from150-400 yards. I've been using this stand for 20 some years. I have a 100% success rate on mature bucks, no I'm not BS ing. (my property)
Scopes fog from cold to warm not warm to cold. :)
A propane vented stove keeps me warm.

By having an enclosed stand with closed windows you scent is about eliminated. You can be there all day if you want.

I have a bunk where I've taken many a nap. Make coffee, fry up a burger, whatever.

Anybody got pics?

Mine will probably be somewhat complicated because I don't have the right trees for an umbrella style treehouse, according to Steve Nelson's book.

Setternut, you would probably have some great trees if your hedge trees are as big as you said they were. I've got mostly cottonwood, sycamore, elm... There's some nice green ash at my farm, but the forester said they are on borrowed time because of the green ash borer... And my hedge trees look more like giant bushes... Seems like all my "good" trees are in bad places.

But I haven't given up hope yet. With some special hardware I should be able to build between multiple trees and build something that will work as long as I don't get carried away...:cheers:

Worst case scenario, I have some old wooden power poles. 4 of those ought to support a parking garage plus my fat a##. :laugh:

I'll be out a lot this Spring cutting firewood and clearing a big trail (shooting lane) between my 2 food plots, so that should allow plenty of time to scribble up a plan and get something going.

Last edited:
Toad, use the power power poles, trees aren't dependable.
Trees rock in the wind, loosening nails and you. :eek:
Die, rot, fall down etc.
I used 5X6 treated, sunk in the ground 4 feet.

tree house build

I'm with you toad! Sat in my ground blind for two days didn't get any shots off. Today I sat on the ground for 3 hours didn't see anything, froze my butt off! I think I will build a tree house I can keep warm in and maybe take a nap:thumbsup:

Anyone have any pictures of theirs?

Deer towers up here litter the landscape LOL:D They are everywhere. Converting an old grain bin here. Scored one of those stair cart things they use at stores to stock high shelf's on wheels. I will put that in there, and have a bunk, cooler, cook stove, and heat. Prime time and as long as I want, sitting in a lounge chair with head sticking out the port hole on top.:D Close her up when not in use.:thumbsup: It will out live me and deer will not give a hoot a small grain bin is out there.;) 100 bucks.:D

Deer towers up here litter the landscape LOL:D They are everywhere. Converting an old grain bin here. Scored one of those stair cart things they use at stores to stock high shelf's on wheels. I will put that in there, and have a bunk, cooler, cook stove, and heat. Prime time and as long as I want, sitting in a lounge chair with head sticking out the port hole on top.:D Close her up when not in use.:thumbsup: It will out live me and deer will not give a hoot a small grain bin is out there.;) 100 bucks.:D

Brilliant!:cheers:

My only objection to a tower would be that I think it would "litter the landscape". That's why I was thinking a treehouse would almost go unnoticed in the woods... But maybe I'm overthinking it...

Hey that thing sounds like the cats meow! Will you please post some pictures of the inside and outside when its done?:thumbsup:

Hey that thing sounds like the cats meow! Will you please post some pictures of the inside and outside when its done?:thumbsup:

Can do, but it aint getting done till next summer now LOL. I bought 2 of them for 2 hun. But only moved one. And that is for the pigeons by the bird coop. Weather got too bad to move the 2nd one. Spring project.
Toad, that is basically what they are. Just box stands on posts or attached to a tree. All the same, and they don't look as bad as one may think. You name it they use it. From hay bale stacks to old tractor cabs. There is one on an old grain wagon across the road.

Back