Training Site

My Lab is 6 1/2 months old. I would like to get him out to a game farm a couple times for some quality training time. I have hunted several different game farms with my experienced dogs in the past, but I am interested in seeing if any of you have recommendations for a game farm in Minnesota within a reasonable drive of the northern suburbs that would be good for an inexperienced, young dog. In advance, thanks for your thoughts.

Pheasant Ridge in Ogilvie. Mike is easy to work with.

What would be best depends on what you want to do. So the question is what do you want to accomplish, and where are you in your training?

I have done some basic retrieving work and have gradually introduced the gun so that I have shot over my pup while he is retrieving birds. I have thrown out clipped wing birds for him and had him flush a couple "live" birds. All this has been done in the yard and not in any cover..hence the desire to get out in some cover with him.

Ok. Couple of my thoughts:

1. Go by yourself. Lots of guns would be intimidating.
2. Keep it all positive.
3. Keep it short with just a couple birds... Too many will be overwhelming.
4. Stick to thinner covers.
5. Avoid using pheasant on an inexperienced dog. Chukar or quail are better.

Pheasant Ridge in Ogilvie. Mike is easy to work with.

I agree with Gatzby. Talk to Mike he will put a hobble on the birds so they cannot run but will fly. Then he marks them with a ribbon so you know where they are planted. I also suggest you do not shoot. Have a trusted buddy who you know can kill the bird. Have him shoot and you just watch the dog and help them succeed. I live in Elk River and go up there all the time.

I agree with Gatzby. Talk to Mike he will put a hobble on the birds so they cannot run but will fly. Then he marks them with a ribbon so you know where they are planted. I also suggest you do not shoot. Have a trusted buddy who you know can kill the bird. Have him shoot and you just watch the dog and help them succeed. I live in Elk River and go up there all the time.

This is real good advice!

We used the pole and flag technique with my Golden in the early years. Started down-wind and led the dog towards the flag. He soon learned to spot the flags and not use his nose! This is a good method to put the whole hunting experience together.

I started grabbing his collar when he was on top of the bird, when it refused to fly - a friend had to do the shooting. The dog understood the word stay and began to freeze (point) when he was near the bird. He now points every time, at a bird that refuses to fly or a critter...

He pointed a porcupine last fall, but I was too late in grabbing him, he lunged and got a snoot - full of quills.

Amen to that! Have hunted all over the state of SD and never had an encounter with a porky. Had two hits back in the 70's with my first Golden both in ND. hunting sharp-tail.

I'm thankful for Max's' pointing skill - gives me a chance to hold on to him and prevent another encounter!

Back