Training a Lab?

HunterChick23

My dog Hershey, is one year old and has never gone hunting, hear a gun shot, retrieved a bird...and he HATES water. I am currently helping that water situation... I would go duck hunting but he needs to like to swim. He knows HOW to swim (my step dad threw him in the pool...i was really mad) now he really doesnt like water unless im with him. If my mom trys to play with with him with water, he freaks. If i try to play with him, he is suspicious but he likes to play with the mist setting! Anyways, do you have any specific training tips i should know for pheasant hunting? And please dont mention anything about getting a Pointer or flusher becasue I dont have enough money for a secong dog. Thanks guys! All tips are appreciated! :)

Introduction in summer with warm water is the best. There are some labs whom are predisposed to water. I have 90 pounder, who won't look at a pool, but has a whale of a time in the marsh. If there is game to retreive, or game to get up, my dog loves rail and jacksnipe, the water will most likely solve itself. Going with an experienced lab with help as well. The shooting issue is harder, a lot of labs have accute hearing. Use a light weight gun twenty two shorts are ok or .410's, or at least get away from the dog, when he's doing something out it the field a test shot to see how it goes. Act like nothing happened and go on. The old shooting around the dinner bowl may be pasted. Then I would get birds, let him flush them, after a couple, shoot at the flush, if that works shoot on. I can be O.K. make this to not go perfect, repetition is the golden rule. If your dog looks around afterward, then goes on, great, that is what I would look for. Waterfowl is NOT a good shooting excercise, close in firing, water applifies the sound, like a percussion cage, sometimes I want to run. Wait for later on that one. Hunting is fun, the preparation is better. With a dog and hunting, we don't like wondering what is going to happen when the birds get up! Preparations as life like as possible take the wondering away. Good luck. Only bad excercise with your dog, is no excercise with your dog.

First things first. How much obedience have you done with him? If he knows "here" "sit" and "heel" then you are well on your way.

Has he been introduced to birds?

Have you worked on any retrieving with him at all?

A hot summer day is best to intoduce to water and then you can go in the pond with him and both enjoy it!

He knows: sit, down, heel, retrieve, shake, high five, and Macarena. He is a really good boy but has never been introduced to birds. I will soon be getting him a decoy.

shotgun introduction

do you have a friend with a gun dog? if yes find a public spot or field(with permission) and hold your dog at heel. have your friend go away from you a 100 yards then start playing fetch with his dog. when he throws the object, shoot into the air working closer to you. your dog should see this as part of a game and be ok with it. this has worked for me in the past good luck:thumbsup:.

If you trained him to do all that other stuff, then you can train him to hunt. There are a few stumbling blocks most people screw up the first time, I sure made my fair share of mistakes, but it all works out if you are patient and have a strong bond with your dog. Main thing is baby steps and setting the dog up for success.

Get a good training book and find somebody to help you. I'm sure you will be fine.

Before any of that though, I would just go for a fun run (no gun) in a field where there are birds. See if he has any interest in finding and chasing them.

I am not an expert like many on here, but that's where I would start, personally.

Last edited:
He knows: sit, down, heel, retrieve, shake, high five, and Macarena. He is a really good boy but has never been introduced to birds. I will soon be getting him a decoy.

I have to ask...what is "Macarena" for a command? Lol I'm extremely new to bird dogs too so trying to learn also.

Back