Tough Decision

sloth5202

I may be a little premature with this question but I'll throw it out there anyways. I also know this is a very personal decision but just wondering what some of you other "like minded" guys might do.

My 10 year old ESS recently injured his leg on a routine stroll through the park. I haven't been able to get into the vet to get an actual diagnosis yet but the way he is favoring his leg reminds me of the last time he ruptured his ACL. The first time he ruptured his ACL was about 4 years ago and he had seemingly recovered completely within a year thanks to the surgery. He's been as active as ever since.

My question to you guys it what would you guys do? As I see it I could do three things.

1. Have the surgery - Money is obviously a factor with this one. I'm also not sure what the recovery would be like with this option this time around.

2. No surgery - This option I would do everything I can to make him as comfortable as possible and see how he learns to cope and and see how the rest of his joints hold up.

3. Put him down - I had a hard time even typing that one out but a part of me feels like this would be the most fair to him especially if his quality of life will degrade like I think it might and already has.

This is the first dog of my "own" and he has been with me through so much and so many changes. He taught me how to be selfless and was there to get me through some very tough times. He also helped me renew love of bird hunting.

I personally do not think i could put my dog down because of an acl injury. I know money would def be an issue if this type of injury ever came up for my dog but i think even if the surgery were to expensive i would try some other options and give it time and see how it heals.

One of the toughest calls. I guess I would not do the surgery and prepare for his hunting days to be over. Nearly there anyway ? Let him help train a young dog.

That of course assumes he won't be in uncontrollable pain the rest of his days.

tough decision

I would obtain information from a vet. I feel some of your questions concerning recovery time etc would answered. Without having a professional opinion it is difficult to make a decision.

Many years ago, 1947, I had to make a similar decision and did not follow the vet's advice. My setter was 13 and he suggested I euthanize the dog. He had injured his left leg and the pad area of the foot could not be controlled. This was my first "bird dog" so I can understand your thoughts. He lived another 3.5 years. Not as good a life as I wanted but he was comfortable and patrolled my parents property. I had just been discharged from the army and had planned to hunt him that fall as he had been in good physical shape. When I was able to be home he was my my constant companion.

Financial concerns are a problem and you will have to weigh those as they are different for each of us.

I hope the vet's advice will be better than you expect.

My Golden - Rudy, became blind over the winter, at age 8. I didn't put him down until age 12. He never hunted again, although we tried one season, but it just didn't work.

We bought a pup to keep Rudy company, however,having a puppy and a blind dog at the same time...not good. I'm glad we were able to keep Rudy until it was his time; my wife became very attached to him, but I was in the process of "letting go" and devoted most of my attention to the new puppy.

Every situation is different as is every dog...

First, how much does the surgery cost? If the surgery is beyond your means at this time I would see what could be done to relieve his pain (meds, etc.), monitor him and see how he does. I don't think it's time to put him down. In all likelihood he is done hunting. But if you are that attached to him keep him around even if it's just for a couple more years and start looking for a new pup.

I'm kind of in somewhat the same boat. My 12 year old Brittany is having some issues and the vet hasn't been able to determine what's causing it. How much do I spend on tests that may not solve anything anyway. Right now we are just monitoring her and hoping she has a year or two left as a house pet.

Good luck with your dog. It's always a bummer when they start to age. Kind of like us humans, the older they get the more health issues they have.

Not knowing anymore about your situation other than what you posted, I would look into the tightrope procedure. Generally its cheaper than TTA or TPLO. Quicker recovery too. Ask your vet to work out a payment plan. If youve been using this vet for 10 years i would hope theyre willing to work with you. Been there my friend and i wish you and your pup well.

Very tough question, like many others have said wait for the vets diagnosis then go from there. I'm starting to wrestle with that same question of putting my 14 yr old britt down.......but I always come back to just letting nature takes its course and her going on her own time frame.

I've paid for three tightrope ACL repairs on two old pointers in the last three years they were both over 10 years old at the time and they recovered just fine.

Dogs are very resilient, I could not sit around and watch them limp knowing it could be fixed and there is no way I could kill them over something I know I could fix.

I am not a wealthy man I sold some guns and other stuff to help with the bills. I can always make more money I've been working non stop since I was in 7th grade and I am 63.

I can not turn my back on my best friends and my dogs are definitely my best friends, no human has ever shown me the same unconditional love. I could do no less for them.

Both dogs still can hunt just fine but I do slightly limit their service.

I have 9 dogs so I can rotate them and let them hunt the smaller areas I hunt during my trips.

Back