tough deal

thurrealty

Hey guys....we have a 2 year old Brittany we have to give away...she was the pick of the litter...but last year she showed signs of being gun shy...we let her set out hoping it was maybe bird shyness. Took her two weeks ago..hunted hard...and we found a covey....I shot...not close to her...and watched her run off. It took me three hours to find her. Plain ole gun shy. She is nice and friendly...wants to be your buddy. We will give her away to a GOOD home. I live close to Louisville Ky. If anyone is interested...let me know.Thanks..Doug

Hey guys....we have a 2 year old Brittany we have to give away...she was the pick of the litter...but last year she showed signs of being gun shy...we let her set out hoping it was maybe bird shyness. Took her two weeks ago..hunted hard...and we found a covey....I shot...not close to her...and watched her run off. It took me three hours to find her. Plain ole gun shy. She is nice and friendly...wants to be your buddy. We will give her away to a GOOD home. I live close to Louisville Ky. If anyone is interested...let me know.Thanks..Doug

Sorry to hear that -- I'm sure she'll make someone a great family dog.

Thanks...I was very sad to see the obvious....happens sometimes...her aunt is my hunting dog and house dog. Very good at both and is a big part of the family. I wouldnt want my wife to pick between me and the dog...if you know what I mean...he he. Lots of good people on here...I hope someone that lives in my part of the world gets her and gives her a good home. Doug

Could this be something that could have been caused by a bad experience in any way?

If it did, those kind of cases can normally be overcome if the dog shows promise in other areas related to her hunting abilities. A good pro should be able to give you an evaluation.

I have heard of several things that might work...but...the thing that scares me the most..is when she saw a dog on point...she knew what was going to happen next. I dont know if she was bird shy or gun shy or both. Anyone got any thoughts? I would appreciate it.

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but correcting this problem usually means ceasing all gun exposure and increase bird contact. Get the dog bird crazy again before slowly working the gun back in. If your a novice, this might be something best left to a professional, especially one who has dealt with it before.

Here' some reading on the subject. Each uses a little different approach.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/Gun-Shy-Dogs-Page1.htm

http://www.willowcreekkennels.net/Articles/curegunshydog.html

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/pointing/pdj45.html

Last edited:
Gun Shy

My GSP was gun shy when I got her at 18 months.. The story was that the neighbor kids threw fire crackers over the fence, and she ended up with one exploding in her mouth..
What I did was this, I took her out with me and the guys when I shot trap. I kept her in the truck, with her "stuff" her toys, blankets, etc. She was in a comfortable environment. She could see me, hear the shots, but couldn't go anywhere.. We shot for a bit, then spent some time with her outside the truck... after she quit shaking, she was good for another series of shots.. Again, re-enforced that all was OK..

Next, we went to the fields and got her focused on the Bird hunting part.. Once she put 2&2 together, the bird flushing and the shot, never have had any problems.. She has become the best dog of the bunch.. Once the truck hits the gravel road, she goes crazy, knowing what is next.. To this day, over 6 years later, she loves the gunshots, cause 90% of the time, she has tracked the rooster and has the retrieve.. IF, I take care of my end..

Goatman

Thanks guys...I have had a bird dog or two since I was six...I am 55 now...tried a few things with no luck regarding this situation. I am pretty patient with breaking and training dogs. This one confuses me though because I dont know if I should start with the bird shyness first or the gun shyness. I dont want her to associate the wrong thing. I will give her credit...when she saw a dog on point....before I shot....she came to me and got right behind me...so I know she knew...I know a few gunshy tricks...but for the birdshy...that might be a problem.

gunshy

Birdshooter is on the right track.

I have a buddy who had a GSP that was gun shy. We took her out to a preserve to help with the situation. He kept telling me I could not fix the problem. Finally I invited him to go to the other end of the field and just watch. We put out numerous birds. I took out a 410 shotgun with me. She would point and then shy away when the bird came up. I just let her keep pointing birds and flushing them without shooting. Finally she was so fired up on a Quail she was chasing the bird in the air. Then I shot the bird for her. She was fine after that. Sometimes it can be fixed in one outing.

Steve

If she is bird shy don't take a gun out, just put birds out. Let her point and then chase them. Then introduce a 410 or 20 ga. and shoot the bird when you are a long way from the dog.

Last edited:
Back