Torn toe nail!?!?

goldenboy

One of my Golden's torn the outside nail off of her front foot on Friday. Today she is still walking on three legs and holding the paw up. I don't think the nail is totally gone, I can still see and feel a part of it. It just looks like you cut way back into the nail bed and so the "quick" or however you spell it has been damaged. My question is should I do anything for her? Is there anything the vet can do at this point? Should I just let her rest it for a week or so and see how it turns out? Anyone have anything like this happen to their dog before? Any advise helps! Thanks.

Joel: Have not had this happen to any of my 5 dogs, however, a dog bootie might help her walk or put pressure on the foot. You may have to make your own wrap and isolate the nail...

Good luck!

I had this happen a couple times with one of my dogs. Both times he started walking (mostly) normal after 2-3 days. Give Dr J a call I’m not sure if he can do anything

I had this happen a couple times with one of my dogs. Both times he started walking (mostly) normal after 2-3 days. Give Dr J a call I’m not sure if he can do anything

Yes I have to take her in for a shot and a check up I might just have Dr. J look at it then. I am hoping she heals quickly, we got more birds to shoot this fall!

I just had my dog in to day for the same thing in my case the nail was split and very tender but the vet said they could just trim it way back.he only billed me 15.00 to trim it. In the past i had a dog that they pulled the nail and he was good to go.

I had this happen a couple times with one of my dogs. Both times he started walking (mostly) normal after 2-3 days.

Same thing here. Several years ago out in South Dakota, one of my Goldens came back with a front foot toenail just hanging. I pulled it off. Bled a little. I cleaned it and wrapped and within 2 days, she pulled the wrap off and was walking around on it. Just keep a good eye on the wound to make sure it stays clean. :thumbsup:

My middle Britt breaks a nail every other season or so (usually in the grouse woods). Always go to the vet. They can remove the nail portion (grows back). She is usually good to hunt within a week (or less) depending on the nature of the tear / break. Just happened two weeks ago. They had to sedate her to fix it (usually done easier than that) ... had her teeth cleaned to get it all done at once. She was pointing birds 5 days later.

I know Vets are often not the low cost option (especially in the cities), but if in doubt I go ... and it always confirms that I should go right away.

Back