Tools?

I used to use duct tape (see photo), but it rips out too much hair when you remove it. Nylon filament is perfect, and lightweight.

Having a way to restrain their legs is a must if they get quills in their mouth and face, which they nearly always do.

I have never run into a trap or snare pheasant hunting, but every dog I have had (three shorthairs) has gotten into a porcupine at least once, and that's with aversion training. Quills not removed fast are a far more likely way to kill one of my dogs than traps or snares, so far.

Last edited:
What is going on that photo with your GSP?

I wonder if the dog was impressed when you left him taped-up and took his pic! Seems an odd time to put out the camera.

I had just spent about 30 minutes removing dozens of quills from his mouth, face and elsewhere. He didn't mind lying there an additional 10 seconds while I snapped a photo to show others a trick that could easily prevent a dog's death from a quill. I know two people who lost dogs to quills. The quills are barbed and start working their way in fast. If a quill happens to be pointed toward a vital area and you don't get it out before it buries itself, it's a fatality.

Hog-tying is especially important if you are hunting alone, as I often am. If you are alone aand all you have is the extraction tool you are only half prepared for the job. Extraction of a quill can be very painful to the dog. They have fairly high pain thresholds but they will not just lay there docilely and let you pull quills out of their face and mouth. You had better have a way to immobilize them.

Last edited:
Conibear Traps and Zip Ties

I have had the extra-long zip ties for many, many years (I suppose almost 10 years now).

Couple of points ... make sure the plastic has not become brittle with age. Keep out of sunlight.

Test your plastic zip ties at the coldest temperatures that you hunt or maybe the coldest temperature it gets stored at. Plastic has a ductile-brittle transition temperature ... if the plastic enters its "glassy" brittle phase ... it may break when you most need it.

Buy a conibear trap and practice opening the trap that has been set on a log or stuffed animal. It takes some practice to understand the release mechanism. It has been a very long time since I practiced this ... suppose I should soon.

Testing will also ensure you are carrying zip ties that are long enough and strong enough.

I have never seen a conibear trap in pheasant country, but have seen them in water sets in forest land. The conibear trap seems much more prevalent in ruffed grouse country or pheasant country bordered by lots of woodlots and forests. Snares seem more common in pheasant country, but I have only seen one out there.

Hog-tying is especially important if you are hunting alone, as I often am. If you are alone aand all you have is the extraction tool you are only half prepared for the job. Extraction of a quill can be very painful to the dog. They have fairly high pain thresholds but they will not just lay there docilely and let you pull quills out of their face and mouth. You had better have a way to immobilize them.
Seeing the picture made me realize I never thought about the need to restrain the dog for the time it takes to treat it. Not just quills either.
Thanks for the visual reminder !

A couple items for where I hunt in Montana: bear spray and InReach device (I hunt solo).
A belt can be used as a leash, to muzzle a dog while pulling quills, etc.

I also carry a Felco, leuko tape, zip ties, compass, fire starter, ace bandage, blood clotting bandage.

And an extra set of truck keys and cell phone which is GPS and camera.

At the truck a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, dish detergent
in case of skunk spray.

Cable cutters, I had a dog get caught in a snare and I still have nightmares. I was fortunate because he was well trained and quit struggling because I didn't have a cutters at that time. Today on a poop break I have a cutters handy. Forceps because of quills, thinking back I think this was one of the only years I didn't get quilled. Probably jinked myself for next year.

I also carry zip ties for traps. I ordered 2 free "kits" from the MN trappers association last year. Basically just zip ties but comes with a card showing how to release. I keep one kit in my vest year round.

I also carry the MN trapper kit in my vest and a Leatherman on my belt. Like many I'm usually not more than a mile or two from the truck. I've thought about emt gel but figured if wound is a that bad the gel won't help and pup would bleed out, please prove me wrong on this thought, being honest havnetbused it before. Porky quills can wait till truck. My fear is traps and severe gash/punctures. My truck, I feel is mobile first aid, tool box first aid kit, dog first aid kit and trauma kit. All can be used for canine or human. Since I guide I'm overkill on 1st aid.

I also carry the MN trapper kit in my vest and a Leatherman on my belt. Like many I'm usually not more than a mile or two from the truck. I've thought about emt gel but figured if wound is a that bad the gel won't help and pup would bleed out, please prove me wrong on this thought, being honest havnetbused it before. Porky quills can wait till truck. My fear is traps and severe gash/punctures. My truck, I feel is mobile first aid, tool box first aid kit, dog first aid kit and trauma kit. All can be used for canine or human. Since I guide I'm overkill on 1st aid.
I would agree on the EMT gel. I don't carry any in my vest, just in the first aid kit at the truck. EMT is mostly for minor to moderate cuts that are right below the borderline of needing stitches. Those cuts can wait to get back to the truck in my opinion.

Now if I was planning some mountain type hunt, where I might be hours from the truck, I'd consider. But the furthest away from the truck I get, would be at most an hour on a bee line walk back.

I carry an InReach device, Leatherman multi tool, Felco cutters, zip ties for traps, short length of paracord, CAT tourniquet, blood stopper gauze and other first aid products in a small zippered tool bag.

I have been involved in EMS for over 40 years and just an observation for those who say they are only a quarter mile from their truck: the average person can run a quarter mile in 1 minute 30 seconds and then the time to get back. Your dog, if caught in a snare around its neck that you can’t get off with your hands will be dead before you get back or your buddy who lacerated a major artery will bleed out in that time. Not trying to start a fight, you do what you want to do but that’s why I carry the stuff I do and I hope that I never have to use it! But it’s there if I need it.

I carry most of what was been listed here. I recently added the heavy duty zip ties and cable cutters to my kit, also watching videos on those problems.....to be prepared for them.
My med kit, which is put together from a larger K9 Medical Kit, typically has a few more items such as a tourniquet and Quik-Clot Combat gauze. I carry extra gauze, med tape, staple gun, etc in it. I also carry a tourniquet center of my body so that it is easy to get to with either arm.
I also carry a gear kit that has 2 emergency space blankets, good compass, and several methods of fire starters, protein bars, signal mirror, etc. I have also carried water purification methods, either a purifying straw or pump.
I hunt with a Tenzing pack and I vacuum seal these items down to minimize their footprint.
I figure I buy myself at least 72 hours with what's in my pack comfortably should an emergency happen or God knows whatever.
You have to be able to help yourself first or your hunting partner or dog.....or if you would come across an emergency.
I know alot of guys talk about not being that far from a truck or road or home or such.....but as we get older and not in the shape we used to be, problems get magnified.....trauma sends our system in to overload quickly and the stress and shock can kill, sometimes from an injury that wouldn't be fatal on its own. Knowledge and equipment can quickly mitigate the stress and shock from an emergency.

....wow.....for pheasant hunting....where do you hunt? I am thinking it will be I some remote village of Alaska and you are very accident prone. I guess it that's what it takes to make you feel comfortable outdoors, are all wired different. That is the type of stuff I would consider taking along on an elk hunt in the mountains away from most civilization. Honestly, where do you pheasant hunt? Don't give away the coordinates, but maybe the state(s).

....wow.....for pheasant hunting....where do you hunt? I am thinking it will be I some remote village of Alaska and you are very accident prone. I guess it that's what it takes to make you feel comfortable outdoors, are all wired different. That is the type of stuff I would consider taking along on an elk hunt in the mountains away from most civilization. Honestly, where do you pheasant hunt? Don't give away the coordinates, but maybe the state(s).
I agree…..I’m not poo pooing being prepared or anything. I hunt local and go on short 1-3 day hunts outta town. I’ve tried to think of every possible senerio that can happen and end up bringing so much junk it annoying. A 24 pack of Dt dew and Sour Mike n Ike’s and I’m set. Skunk shampoo is one of my iffies. Man if my dog gets sprayed and I didn’t bring it I’d be mad at myself

I hunt alone alot, public land here around home in Wisconsin for pheasants and yes most of the time it's not far from my vehicle or a road. I also hunt northern Wisconsin forests for grouse which pushes one further from a vehicle or any road.
I also hunt the Dakotas, but mostly with at least one other person.
The gear I carry adds about 2 or 3 pounds to my pack and it's not bulky. Don't really even know it's there.
Things happen and my gear/training can buy me, my buddies, dogs, or someone I may come across time until help arrives.
I got lucky grouse hunting alone in the National Forest here in Wisconsin last year...I was working down a draw, thicker cover with snow covered logs.....thought I had a good foot placement as I'm watching the dog who is birdy as heck. Stepped on a snow covered log going downhill, both feet went out from underneath me. I went down hard flat on my back, hit my head too. Then noticed gun barrel was buried in my shoulder cause it got caught up in branches when I went down.
I was probably a mile at least from the logging road my truck was parked on and probably 100 yards off the snowmobile trail I cut in from.
I did a quick assessment once the head stopped ringing.....everything works and moved like it should.....
There are potentially several life threatening results from that simple fall that could have killed me before help could arrive.....my assumption is that I'll be on my own for at least an hour, maybe longer in any given area I hunt until First Responders get to me if I can't get myself or someone else out. I also have a 75lb Lab. My pack doubles as a means to harness and carry him.....but 75lbs is alot for any distance!
I plan for shock, hypothermia, and blood loss.

Wingsnfins,
I have been reading advertisements regarding bird hunting vests that will morph into a harness to carry your dog out of the field. I hope you never have to use it. I have carried my older setter out of some mountain trails in the Appalachians hunting grouse. Not ideal for either of us. Please share what you have and your opinion regarding that option. Thank you.

Back