Too Cold!

chadsbritt

Man, I hope this sub-zero weather wasn't too hard on the birds. Has anyone been out or heard any reports from out east?

I was out on sunday when this all hit. -2 degrees, 25 mph wind.It was brutal but the birds were thick in heavy cover and holding good. We saw birds in every cover we walked and never got out of the truck for more than 5 min at a time. I dont think they knew it was cold but we sure did. Dogs didnt seem to care either. Cant wait to get back out there. Sun. was day 14 in the feild for me so far.

I was out on Friday (12/12) and Saturday (12/13) north of Holyoke and managed to bag 10 roosters total between two of us. We limited out on Friday but only hunted Saturday morning, quite a few birdhunters out there! I'm sure our feathered friends handled the cold just fine though.

Sounds like you had one hell of a day! Were the birds holding good for you? Were you on private or walk-in? I'm dying to get out, but unfortunately will be unable to this weekend.

Yeah it was a great couple days! It was the first day that I got out with the old man this season and he's got even less mercy than me when it comes to runnin' and gunnin'! Without more people, a dog, or snow we were limited to corners and roadside assaults and I certainly didn't feel guilty about it because it was pretty windy and birds were flushing really far out. We're always pretty aggressive when it comes to jumping brush piles along the road and taking any uneducated birds. I'll usually just park really quick and charge the willow thicket or juniper windrow and bust 'em (provided there are birds there). I think that the wind and change in weather had them concentrated which was nice. We saw some flushes of 10-20 birds. Hunted both walk-in and private.
I have to admit that I missed at least 4 gimmies right in front of pops which is a guarunteed way to get laughed at!

Last edited:
Back