Today’s report

519vx

After not having been to SD for a couple years, I decided to give it a try based on large part on the better reports from the state game and fish dept. the odds aren’t with me. I’ve got a somewhat inexperienced 2 year old dog, I don’t get around well (bad leg) and I’m hunting state lands and ditches - no private land.

I put on a lot miles today looking for birds. I was basically in the middle of a triangle between Mitchell, Huron, and Kimball. There are birds, but not many. For perspective, I saw 21 deer today (only one nice buck), and 14 pheasants. 14 is what I saw, not what I flushed. The 14 does not include the 3 roosters I saw standing in the open next to sorghum strips on a corporate hunt club farm.

I shot at one bird today. Storm flushed a young of the year group of for birds. The first three were hens, the fourth was a rooster but his coloring was only partial. I knocked him down but he got up and ran like no Tommorrow into a weed field outside what I could legally hunt. Be very careful of your target, the one I shot at today only had a mottled colored head.

Crops are starting to come out. A lot/most of the beans are out but little corn is. Most of what I saw today was near corn so there’s a good sign for those coming later in the season.

If you ditch hunt, the roads marked with yellow minimum maintenance signs were definitely better for birds but drive slow and carefully. I hit a couple skunk holes that bounced us pretty good, some low spots are still pretty wet/muddy so use caution. A couple of times today I puckered up thinking I will be in a real pickle if I bury the truck in the middle of no where but all was fine.

I was also very surprised by the lack of hunters. I came across a few groups and a couple of other ditch hunters but that was it. Definitely fewer than when I was out a few years ago.

Day ended with a great prime rib dinner with a cup of cream of pheasant soup at the Smoking Mule in Kimball. It was very good and I definitely recommend. I went there based on a recommendation from my friend Reddog on this website. Thanks Reddog.

Headed in a different direction tomorrow to explore a new area. Will report tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Try knocking on doors, but don't offer to pay.Thats where I draw the line.No pay!!!

If you can get free hunting that is great. Your shotgun was free, the ammunition was free, the license was free, the gas you burn is free, the vehicle you drive is free, the food you eat is free, and the drinks are free the lodging is free, so absolutely don't pay anyone who might spend some of that money creating more habitat.

If you can get free hunting that is great. Your shotgun was free, the ammunition was free, the license was free, the gas you burn is free, the vehicle you drive is free, the food you eat is free, and the drinks are free the lodging is free, so absolutely don't pay anyone who might spend some of that money creating more habitat.

Well said. Land is expensive food plots cost money. I personally don't think something for nothing is the way to live your life.

You, Mr. Haymaker, have won UPH.com forever.

That's just it, gas, cheap truck, amo, cheap camper, some food, although you eat game, that does cost money, true.I get real good hunting, without paying farmers.I limited out yesterday, on a farm I just drove up to, and knocked on the door.20 dollars in gas, 4 shells, that's what it cost me.

We have gotten free permission mostly by offering to pay. Then they will always get a gift or something from us. We keep bottles of crown in the truck for just that occasion. Paid off in spades

I did not realize all that stuff is free! I wish someone had told me earlier. Paying or not paying is a personal preference. There is no right answer. I have mostly never paid actual cash (lots of nice gifts however). If I am forced to pay, I will. Its just like the guy that asked me if I was upset that I buy three licenses a year due to 5-6 trips I make to SD. My response? That's the best problem I have is to have to buy three. If I have to pay, that's the best problem I will have is to have to pay to hunt pheasants. We all love the sport so why put a negative spin on it?

Permission

P.s
Best time to stop by any shop at a farm 4.30 to 5 and we eat a different diners and have bought lots of meals for other hunters and locals who have helped us. What’s 20 dollars in the scheme of the whole hunt up there. Like you all said . Add it up. It’s not cheap

It’s all good fun. The people we meet up there are usually so nice. My sons and I hunt mostly public land and get lucky to find some private. But our best memories are up in SD.

You should appreciate that we are into the season and frankly there are almost no reports. I’ve learned a lot from this site so try to give a little back in the form of a report fresh from the field.

No I don’t have access to prime private land and that’s okay. I don’t need nor want to go to Montana. It’s more than filling up a cooler with birds. Maybe you don’t get that or understand that. I belong to a really good game club in Wisconsin, and I could have a freezer full of birds for the $ I have into this trip for gas, food, hotel etc but I’m not here for that. Read my report from today and look at the picture of the single rooster I got with my best buddy Storm. That’s why I’m here.

Back