To shoot a hen pheasant or not to shoot a hen pheasant?

My respect to all those who were bold enough to admit their mistakes on a public forum. People are so quick to judge, but it takes a lot to be able to admit that you've messed up in the past.

I think everyone would agree with you MAB;). Mistakes happen. In the case of this thread, the discussion started because someone intentionally shot a wild hen pheasant for the dog---even after Cowan yelled out "hen".

To shoot a hen

I have seen hens shot accidentally. Maybe got in line of fire etc but have never seen or hunted with anyone doing it on purpose. Looks like it would be impossible to knowingly pull the trigger. Slightly changing the subject but I encourage my party to count any bird they down in their bag limit. You have enjoyed the hunt, the dog work, etc why not look hard and, if no luck finding, go ahead and count it.

I've never hunted Prairie chickens, do they flush and sound like pheasants? I see how the colors could fool you.

The color is somewhat similar when going straight away. But a PC has a shorter square tail, and a whitish belly. The initial flush can be somewhat similar, but with some exposure and paying attention, its not that hard to tell them apart.

I've never hunted Prairie chickens, do they flush and sound like pheasants? I see how the colors could fool you.

It's pretty easy to tell them apart. The trick is doing it quick enough to make a good shot. Your brain is trying to process "rooster/hen" when the bird comes up so you're looking for any identifiable rooster traits at the flush. Seeing none, your brain defaults to "hen pheasant". A split second later your brain says, "hey, wait a minute, that's a prairie chicken not a hen pheasant." By that point, the bird may be out of range unless it flushed close, you got a really good look at it, or you were expecting a prairie chicken might flush from this field.

Usually when the bird is about 50 yards away you announce, "That was a prairie chicken!" That's how it goes in my hunting circles anyway.

Interesting topic, and as some have indicated, it is downright stupid to shoot a hen pheasant from standpoint of population sustainability. You want shooting, so shoot some blackbirds or go to a plantation to shoot pen raised birds, but respect the laws surrounding wild bird hunting. The idiots amongst us are the ones that and anti-hunting special interest groups prey upon in demonstration of their agenda.

And I'm sorry, there is no justifiable excuse to accidentally shoot a hen. No more complicated than if you don't see the white ring, you don't shoot. So some roosters get away - GET OVER IT. It is about the experience (and privilege) and not the numbers.

Speak out against idiot hen shooters!

Interesting topic, and as some have indicated, it is downright stupid to shoot a hen pheasant from standpoint of population sustainability. You want shooting, so shoot some blackbirds or go to a plantation to shoot pen raised birds, but respect the laws surrounding wild bird hunting. The idiots amongst us are the ones that and anti-hunting special interest groups prey upon in demonstration of their agenda.

And I'm sorry, there is no justifiable excuse to accidentally shoot a hen. No more complicated than if you don't see the white ring, you don't shoot. So some roosters get away - GET OVER IT. It is about the experience (and privilege) and not the numbers.

Speak out against idiot hen shooters!

LOL now tell us how you really feel!!!! I agree with you. However I can see how someone inexperienced or someone lacking a good mentor could accidentally shoot a hen. If you are taught right, as I was and as my kids were, there really is no reason to shoot a hen.

It is completely possible to shoot a hen by accident. I did it when I was 17 in 1994.

We were hunting a draw with cattails in a fairly heavy snow storm. It felt like all of the birds in McPherson county came busting out of the draw at once as they were buckled down in the heavy waist-deep cover. I picked out a rooster going from right to left, trying to track it for the shot, and I never saw the flash of brown coming from left to right as I pulled the trigger.

The hen crisscrossed right in front of the bird I was targeting. Sure it was probably a one-in-a-million chance, but it does happen.

It is completely possible to shoot a hen by accident. I did it when I was 17 in 1994.

We were hunting a draw with cattails in a fairly heavy snow storm. It felt like all of the birds in McPherson county came busting out of the draw at once as they were buckled down in the heavy waist-deep cover. I picked out a rooster going from right to left, trying to track it for the shot, and I never saw the flash of brown coming from left to right as I pulled the trigger.

The hen crisscrossed right in front of the bird I was targeting. Sure it was probably a one-in-a-million chance, but it does happen.

I'm betting you couldn't get it up for at least two years because of your guilt. You are such a looser :cheers:

Back