To Neuter or not

hayduke

I was always planing on having my pup neutered. He's a 11 mos old Lab and the time is at hand. He's sire and dam are young so if I wanted another from his line it is very doable. Does anyone see any good reasons not to neuter a hunting dog?
Thanks
Peter

Yes--temporarily at least. I'm in the camp of folks who say neutering too early is a bad idea. I go a couple of years and let them get through their structural/skeletal development first. Also by then you have a better idea of what you have.

I did it to Tony my Brit at 6 months, biggest mistake I ever made with a dog. Never will I neuter a dog unless I absolutely have too.......Bob

curious to hear thoughts on spaying females too. I have a 4mo ESS. I have heard arguments of skeletal maturity also, but it seems non-breeding females can really benefit from early spaying in terms of certain cancers. any ideas? thanks.

CD, I don't know about the cancers and such. But I have always been told a Vet can do a better operation and such. Once the female has had her first cycle. Then everything is mature and easy to see.......Bob

First, I want to make it clear that I have strong feelings about backyard breeding. I am very much against it and feel the breeding should be left to the professionals that are truly in it to enhance the breed via hunting ability, conformation and temperament.

With that said, I think that spay or neutering makes a better dog. Of course you need to know what time is the best to do this. And I think it does vary by gender. I have two spayed female Brittanys and they are both great hunters and absolutely wonderful house pets. I'm not up on the proper time to neuter a male but I had my youngest female spayed at 7 months before her first heat cycle. Spaying before the first cycle eliminates some of the possible cancers they might be subject to. They recommend spaying quite early these days but I wouldn't do it before 6 months.

For anyone thinking that spaying or neutering effects a dog's hunting ability, nothing could be farther from the truth.

I agree with Zeb on this one if the dog or owner is not part of a propper breeding program. Then there is not a real good reason not to do it. I would check with the vet you work with and get your recomendations for your particular dog from him, he may have a reason to wait or may for a good reason want to do that dog sooner, Each dog can have different times they want to do them too so ask him. It's useualy not a big deal at all .Good luck

I will tell why I am against not doing it to a male dog before they are fully mature. I had Tony done right after his testicles dropped, about 6.5 months.
First thing is his coat it is real frizzy and the hair goes straight out and does not lay flat in a lot of places.

Second, it made him grow 2 inches minimum over size all over. He is very big for a Brit. Being that big no matter how hard I work him getting ready for hunting season. He still tires quickly for his lungs and stuff are not right for his size. You can hear him working and how close he is by his breathing. You can tell when he is on point no sound at all.

The Vet told me until after it was done. That the Testosterone Ducts never close after neutering that young. So it all goes into the coat and growth. I was never warned or told any of this would happen by the Vets or anyone. Only when he got so big did I ask, then they told me.
It did nothing to slow his natural wanting sex drive or any of that stuff.
His hunting ability and all that stuff is fine. I have no complains there.......Bob

Last edited:
Back