Tires for the 1 ton

onpoint

I'm just making conversation...something to chat about.

What kind of tires have you guys had for your 1 tons?

I know I need to bite the bullet and just buy the Michelin LTX M/S. I'm just trying to decide if I really need a more aggressive tires or not. I don't take the truck really off road or drive it in the winter but i do like the looks of a aggressive tire but hate how some are noisy and tend to cup on the front of 4x4's.

What tires do you like?

Hankook makes a heavy e in 285 dynapro atm. They have lasted well enough for me. Good grip...low noise. 3/4 ton worked like a 1.

Hankook makes a heavy e in 285 dynapro atm. They have lasted well enough for me. Good grip...low noise. 3/4 ton worked like a 1.

I had a friend who says a guy he knows plow snow for a living in the winter and he also likes Hankook I believe is the name. I have to look some of them and see what they are all about.

Another brand that interests me is NITTO Grappler. They have several model's of the Grappler. A Mud, Terra, Trail, Etc.

I have always bought load range "E" 10 ply's. I put 265/75/R16 on both my Ford Diesel pickup's, both standard transmissions. They carry the most load of any size tire made. 3415 lbs. The issue is, my truck came with 225/75/R16 tires. The truck is geared a little too low for my taste and uping the tire size would help run less RPM's when pulling in drive(auto-matic transmission). I just hope in Over Drive it won't cause the truck to shift in and out of Over drive when hitting hills and bucking a hard wind.

Last edited:
These are 285/70/17 rated at 3750 single and 3415 on a double.Heavy tires. First time I had a flat changed...watched the guy get soaked. Now they get warned ahead of time. I was looking at the nittos also
I think they(nittos)might get a little better customer reviews.

Sorry Op, wasn't meant to be a my tires bigger than your tire poke. There's some difference in E range load ratings with hankooks. The one complaint that I've seen with hankooks is sidewall flex. It was one other thing I thought you might want to compare.
Happy hunting.:cheers:

E4?

Last edited:
No harm no fowl Brown Dogs.

My truck only has 16" rims. The 17's will carry more weight. I have to work with my old hardware, even thought it's in very nice shape. I have to drive what the times dictate. It's kind of my baby. It only gets used for special things, otherwise it stays parked in the machine shed. I can't afford to replace it if I ware it out.

I have a duramax and have 3 work trucks all 3/4 a or 1 ton. Definately make sure you go the 10 ply route! As far as M/S that will be a choice you have to make. I will suggest that if most of the milage is pavement I would stay away from M/S. I have two sets for my Duramax and change them out come hunting season if we get rain, but heck we've been in a drought the past few years so mud is hard to find. I always loss about 2mpg when running the M/S.

I personally like Firestone Transforce A/T tires. I have over 45K miles on them and they hold up just fine.

What I will say, is that all the work trucks have Goodyear tires and I would not waste my money on a Goodyear tire period! The 1 Ton has had three sets of tires on it in just 40K miles, the rubber is just way too soft as most (50%) is on unimproved roads. I even tried Kevlar tires and they are just not as good as Firestone tires.

Good luck:thumbsup:

I only have a 1/2 ton truck, but I run Dick Cepek Fun Country II's. They're load range E and I've never had a flat in 4 years. There's a little road noise, but it's a truck and I can always turn the volume up on the radio. On my 3/4 work van I run Bridgestone Duellers (they don't make the Dick Cepeks in my size for the van) and they've been pretty good too. When I bought my tires for my pickup, the tire shop said they sell a lot of them to farmers/ranchers who live mostly on gravel and have had very good luck with them. They even had a FC II in the shop with 80,000 miles on it and it still had tread left. I've been very happy with them. Might be worth looking into.

I personally like Firestone Transforce A/T tires. I have over 45K miles on them and they hold up just fine.

:thumbsup:

I had Firestone on both Ford diesel's. Still have the one truck. IMO, they didn't last. 45,000 miles they are pretty much shot. My brother inlaw has a set of Michelin LTX m/s on his 1 ton ford work truck. He plows snow with it in the winter and has 110,000 miles on the Org. set of Michelin's. Says he's never been stuck plowing. I know there not a aggressive mud type tire but a great value in durability.

I have heard that those Michelian tires last a good while. I will take a look again when these wear out. Right now I'm pleased

I see TSL (Interco)is making a heavy duty commercial type light truck tire. It's called a VorTrac

Their 285/75R/16 is a 10ply 3750 single and 3415 dual weight carry capacity. Looks like a pretty nice tires. I haven't seen a price on them yet though.

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=17&g=1

I've got Firestone Destination A/T's on my F-150. Probably have close to 45k on the tires and easily have another 20-25k left and thoroughly satisfied and would buy again. While mine are only a 6 ply they make them in 10 and for the money are a good value. You'll pay $50+ more for a set of 4 for good-for-a-year and even possibly more for Michelin.

Destinations are always in the top 1-3 on Tire Racks rating of all terrain tires in a combined catagory rating. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Michelin all terrains are good tires, the reason they get a lot of miles out of them is because they use a harder rubber compound then most. This means more tire life, but you may sacrifice traction over a softer compound. Nice tire, but you pay thru the nose.

Last edited:
I run the Perelli scorpions on my 1 ton. Great tire for a great price. Rain sheddding treads and very little noise. They have out lasted both the mich. and Goodyear tires I had in the past.:)

Back