Tipping guide on quail "Put and take" hunt

wblohorn67

I am going to my first quail hunt in Georgia. They are pen raised quail that they release the morning of the hunt. You have a guide and dog. I was wondering what I should tip the guide for 1/2 day hunt? Do you a use a scale similar to restaurant?

Thanks

Wilson

For me I would gage it on what kind of hospitality you where shown and how well the dog did and if the birds flew good ( if it was hard to tell they weren't pen raised )

My thought 25.00 minimum and 75 .00 if all your expectations where met .

I used to guide pheasant hunters at a game farm.The average tip for half a day was usually around $100. My hourly wage was barely over minimum wage so we really lived off the tips. But I don't know about quail huntersthey tend to be a little more high society.

Golden boy is on the money a friend of mine guided a bunch on the weekends and he said$ 100 to $150 for a 1/2 day hunt . Didn't ask him per person or per party .

I used to guide pheasant hunters at a game farm.The average tip for half a day was usually around $100. My hourly wage was barely over minimum wage so we really lived off the tips. But I don't know about quail huntersthey tend to be a little more high society.

holy cow! $100 per hunter for a half day hunt?? :eek:
dude, i ain't signing on to put your kids thru college....just want to bang a few pen raised roosters.......$50 should be plenty!

I did something similar for my brother for his birthday before I got my dog. I went to hand the guide a $80 dollar tip, and he thought we were tipping way way too much. We paid for 16 birds to be released, and actually bagged 18, so we were very happy with our experience. I guess it depends on how the place is that you go.

It depends on whether or not the guide is the owner or not. It also depends on the amount of effort the guide puts in. I would think if there is three or four guy's a tip of 100-125 is not out of line. If it is me alone I would not do over 50.

holy cow! $100 per hunter for a half day hunt?? :eek:
dude, i ain't signing on to put your kids thru college....just want to bang a few pen raised roosters.......$50 should be plenty!

Hunter, that is total! Usually it would be about 4-5 hunters and they would shoot maybe 20-25 birds. Now if they wanted to shoot 60 birds in a morning then the tip should reflect that. Best tip I ever got, I was one of several guides that helped a group of gentlemen shoot 1248 birds over 4 days! My tip was $600!

Hunter, that is total! Usually it would be about 4-5 hunters and they would shoot maybe 20-25 birds. Now if they wanted to shoot 60 birds in a morning then the tip should reflect that. Best tip I ever got, I was one of several guides that helped a group of gentlemen shoot 1248 birds over 4 days! My tip was $600!

that makes sense, thanks.

I am going to my first quail hunt in Georgia. They are pen raised quail that they release the morning of the hunt. You have a guide and dog. I was wondering what I should tip the guide for 1/2 day hunt? Do you a use a scale similar to restaurant?

Thanks

Wilson

GREAT QUESTION!!! Looks like you are receiving good answers from experienced guy's.30-35 bucks per hunter is probably a good bet for a 1/2 day fully guided hunt.

Here's a tip amount for a goose hunting operation in Northern Calif. What's been suggested seems to be in line with it.

A minimum gratuity of $25.00 per hunter per hunt is customary, and is encouraged.

never know what you're gonna get

On average I get $50 for a half day and anywhere from 100-125 depending on number of birds released as far as tips go. I dont really care because my dog gets more birds shot over top of em but on average thats what I get. I have a group of politicians that come out every year and they used to just stop by and pick the birds up. They would buy the birds from me and just come pick them up after i cleaned and packaged them straight outta the pen. They were really in town to see their mistresses and not so much to hunt. After about 2 years of this one of them told me that his wife really knows how to cook pheasants. I said "arent your wives gonna start asking questions when they dont ever see shot in any of these birds?" After a long pause they decided that they should actually come with guns and hunt them. After that my tips got a lot bigger!! I think because of the advice I offered not my guiding skills. And they were terrible shots. I usually had to carry a gun too so they would go home with an adequate number of birds. So they paid me a tipped me for setting out the birds, hunting them with my dog, and me actually shooting 75% of em. Best deal ever!!

On average I get $50 for a half day and anywhere from 100-125 depending on number of birds released as far as tips go. I dont really care because my dog gets more birds shot over top of em but on average thats what I get. I have a group of politicians that come out every year and they used to just stop by and pick the birds up. They would buy the birds from me and just come pick them up after i cleaned and packaged them straight outta the pen. They were really in town to see their mistresses and not so much to hunt. After about 2 years of this one of them told me that his wife really knows how to cook pheasants. I said "arent your wives gonna start asking questions when they dont ever see shot in any of these birds?" After a long pause they decided that they should actually come with guns and hunt them. After that my tips got a lot bigger!! I think because of the advice I offered not my guiding skills. And they were terrible shots. I usually had to carry a gun too so they would go home with an adequate number of birds. So they paid me a tipped me for setting out the birds, hunting them with my dog, and me actually shooting 75% of em. Best deal ever!!

Sounds too much like hazzard pay!!!:D:cheers:

Back