Thrill of the Chase

This would be Mannys third season. I'm completely overloaded at work, weekend family plans have interfeered, weather, ect. Only actually hunted one time this season. So my question is this, do you really need to kill a bird for the dog to have a blast. My dog hunts at least 5 days a week and he seems to love it. I live in the city of Sacramento. The American River runs right threw the metropolitain area, a parkway was created way back when, and its pretty much wild. I live 2-3 miles from the parkway. GSP get to hunt rabbits, both jack and cottontail, deer, quail, coyotes, turkeys, and he'll even hit the water for beaver or otters. Funny thing about this dog, doesn't really love the water, much rather be on land. Doesn't give Ducks a second look, same with doves. But a beaver or otter is spotted swimming, game on, he turns into an olympic swimmer. Anyways since last season, only 1 bird to hand, but he doesn't seem to mind. He hunts with tremendous enthusiasm, and doesn't seem to get frusterated. If he gives chase to a rabbit or deer, 1 loud no and he turns off, sometimes does it on his own. So, will this suffice for the dog?

Last edited:
You have a nice looking dog. Getting the dog out where there is some bird contact is a good thing. But I would make sure that if he points birds while you are out running, that he held point to let you go in and flush, just like you were hunting. If you do that, the experience for him will be the same as when hunting, up to the point if the gun.

Do what you can, and that has to be good enough.

He's pretty good at holding a point, instead of whoa, I just use stay, he'll hold as long as whatever he's pointing holds. Points alot of rabbits, and quail when we find them. I let him point rabbits at the river because when we are huinting birds, he seems to know the difference. At the river he ranges farther than when we are after birds. When I bought him, I basically got him for my 10yr old, figured he was old enough to start taking care. Have no idea what his bloodlines are, I foung him on Craigslist and paid $55.00 for him. As I matured over time I realized how essentail proper training is, and I feel like I've done a pretty good job, however, after getting involved with this forum last year, and learning a ton from it, I start to think I have no idea what a stud Shorthair really is. Keep up the good work guys, I'll take any advise out there.

Sounds to me like you are doing pretty well. Its always better to get them into more birds, but you only have access to what is in your area.

Nice looking dog. My dogs only get to chase during the off season and they don't mind it at all though every once in a while they like to catch a cottontail just to liven things up a bit.:cheers:

He actually gets introduced to alot of birds. (At least for CA standards) His first season I joined a club where the owner let me plant my own birds. He'd give me a box of 5 or so and I'd pay him for whatever I didn't bring back. This turned out to be an easy way to break him of chasing wild flushing/missed shot birds. Also at least doubled the # he saw that season. As I recall, the first one I released, something went wrong, he got away from me, and chased that thing pretty far.(I'm learning too.) I'd let the birds go one at a time, mark where they landed, work the dog in a semi circle around to the area, 10-15 minutes, find the bird, good point shoot, bad or no point, let the bird go, mark him, do it again. Cool and fun stuff. Very satisfying for me to train my own dog and se success. In fact, thanks to all who post here, it inspires me to work even harder with him. Currently we are working on our "Whoa/Stay" command when he is on the move at 30+yards. He had this one down last year, but not having used it for quite some time, he's not doing it now. He'll run back toward me before he stays put. His first 2 birds I shot over him 2 seasons ago.

Ironically, we had another thrill today. Looked out my back window and there was a coyote trotting by. Called my 12 yr old over and we watched him for a few. Asked him if he wanted to go give chase. Sure. We get our boots on, get Manny, and off we go. I tell him to stay as quite as possible, go stealth mode. We turn the dog loose and the coyote spots us. He slowly starts heading NW, so we head N. I'm working the dog, Waynes keeping an eye on coyote, out comes a rabbit. 1 quick NO and Mannys off the rabbit. I give him a hand signal and hes headed in the right direction. Now the coyote knows we're after him, no more trotting, he's is a medium run. I start a jog, angling toward him, Waynes close behind and to my right, I'm giving Manny hand signals, Manny spots the coyote and he blasts off.At approx 200 yrds out, 3 loud NO's ignored, getting close to the road, hit the collar at 30, nothing, turn it up to 70, hit it one more time, Manny heads back. Head back to the house to watch some football. At 12 years old, Wayne has never hunted with me, maybe 1 time when he was maybe 3 but he doesn't remember that. He's just too sensitive, it would be hard on him to watch me kill something, hell he doesn't even like it when I swat flies in the house. Now, I can tell he enjoyed the chase by the smile on his face, but I'd like to hear him say it. So I ask him, did you like chasing that coyote. He smiles at me and says yea, that was fun. You think that coyote will come back tomorrow? Hopefully I tell him. So for Manny, thrilled, Wayne, thrilled, me two thrills. Walking back to the house I could feel a little adrinline rush, so 1 thrill, and seeing Wayne enjoy his first"hunt" was thrilling. Maybe, some day......

Back