The truth about Prairie Storm

Best movie ever
The Pup is AKC registered "Glen Edin's everyday is a Holiday" call name Doc.
PS He's one of them expensive some might say "very expensive" AKC dogs :)
I like that breeding you got that pup out of. I almost put a deposit on the same litter when he announced it. I ended up with a pup out of AFC drakes bay homerun hitter x QAA jenga. Couldn’t pass up the pedigree!

Attachments

• 8FBDF2C4-1B8F-4189-897E-06967E2FD04C.jpeg
    8FBDF2C4-1B8F-4189-897E-06967E2FD04C.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
I like that breeding you got that pup out of. I almost put a deposit on the same litter when he announced it. I ended up with a pup out of AFC drakes bay homerun hitter x QAA jenga. Couldn’t pass up the pedigree!
I like Jenga a lot! Plus Bill is a stand up guy. I don't know much about Drakes bay unfortunately.

I had Rue for a few months when she was just a youngster, and had the privilege of handling her to her Senior Hunter at 8 months old. She was special from day one.

I like Jenga a lot! Plus Bill is a stand up guy. I don't know much about Drakes bay unfortunately.

I had Rue for a few months when she was just a youngster, and had the privilege of handling her to her Senior Hunter at 8 months old. She was special from day one.
Yes I’m very happy with the decision, Bill was great to work with and I’m very happy with the pup.
SH at 8 months is very impressive… I watched her run a MH test online and I like how much fire she still had! It’s a fine line balancing high drive dogs and the control needed for high level tests.

Most of us have done a fair share of experimentation and patterning. Having shot a12 ga for years with large, fast loads i didn’t pay much attention to speed. If anything I opted for faster loads. After doing a lot of viewing on YouTube about faster loads it still didn’t affect me. In part because of the distance I tend to shoot (behind my springers) is typically between 25-35 yards. Rarely further.
About a year ago I bought a new Winchester SX4 in 20 ga to go with my sx4 in 12 ga. Spent the summer and early fall at the trap range. Found that mentally I felt weaker shooting loads 3/4-7/8 oz. At range on clays I just wasn’t taking as many birds. spent some time patterning different loads trap and hunting. Eventually I came to the conclusion I needed to tighten pattern. went to full choke and spent enough time at the range to gain confidence and numbers with my 12 vs the 20 we’re almost identica. Actually, even got a bit more proficient with the 20 due to tighter choke.
Last fall hunting NODak I brought out the 12 ga sx4. Windy weather but the first 3 birds were at about 30 yards. With modified choke and large load 1 3/8 oz, 1485 fps, #5 all three birds went down but all got up and moved. Frustrated at what I considered hard hits I decided to go back to the 20 ga. With full choke, 3 inch, 1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps, #5 the next 3 birds went down hard. No run, dead and done. The next 4 days I hunted using the 20 with great success.
I guess my point is know your gun, pattern your gun, use the correct choke for the job, and speed doesn’t always matter. I will spend sometime this summer with the 12 ga and tighten my choke a bit till I see similar performance at the range. Until last year I had never thought my primary shotgun would EVER be anything less than a 12 ga.

Old topic, but all I will say is those flight stopper pellets suck. Theres a reason its 1500fps, you need it just to hope those halos make it through the meat. They tumble and catch a big wad of feathers on the way in, and leave you with a big wad of black chewing gum in the meat.

Luckily 70% of the 1 1/4 shell is good shot, which is still 7/8oz of shot which is more than is required.. especially coming out of that flight crontrol wad.

I cut one open to see. They are copper coated. Suprisingly the load had some buffering in it, but unless I missed it they never mention that. Very important detail and a good selling point. I guess the guy writing the ad type got too caught up in a pellet with the rings of Saturn around it, FLITESTOPPER. I'm not sure if they call it that because it stops the pheasant from flying, or rather due to the pellets poor aerodynamics it stops itself from flying very far?

I'm in the fence about the flight stoppers. It's similar to the duplex loads, ballistically it seems all pellets should be the same, but I would be curious to run a ton of tests and high speed cameras to see if they do any functional improvements.

The one thing I do know, prairie storm lead patterns extremely tight. I don't think I would run more than Ic for them. When I used mod first time running them, I would either tear them up or miss.

I always liked PS. I felt like they hit hard. But for $28-30 a box and with no rebates not worth it. You can still get good stuff for under $20. Federal has some pretty boxes.

I always liked PS. I felt like they hit hard. But for $28-30 a box and with no rebates not worth it. You can still get good stuff for under $20. Federal has some pretty boxes.
Couldn't find PS in TN.

I stopped at the first Walmart in SD in November to get my license and found PS at $22 a box. Round numbers with tax that is one dollar per shell.

Compared to everything else I spend to hunt pheasants cost of shells is not in my decision tree to decide if I go.

I've been using PS for about 4 years and my unscientific comparison is they perform better for me.

On the way home from my second trip to SD, bought enough PS for next year. If I get to go the last week of January, I'll probably buy some more.

I normally buy the Federal Premium Upland loads. Usually can get them on sale through Scheels at a pretty good price (at today's prices) and they are a quality load. Same specs as the Prairie Storm (FPS and everything else wise) and no Flitestopper. Even in the same box minus the Prairie Storm logo. Last time I bought some for my 16 gauge, I paid $18 a box on sale at Scheels and the equivalent shot size for Prairie Storm was $35.

Same specs as the Prairie Storm (FPS and everything else wise) and no Flitestopper. Even in the same box minus the Prairie Storm logo. Last time I bought some for my 16 gauge, I paid $18 a box on sale at Scheels and the equivalent shot size for Prairie Storm was $35.
Lately when I see the Federal Premium Upland Load (Wing Shok), its the same cost as Prairie Storm. I buy 12 gauge loads in #6 lead shot.

In fact on Monday they were $24.99/box just like Prairie Storm was, at Scheels.

Lately when I see the Federal Premium Upland Load (Wing Shok), its the same cost as Prairie Storm. I buy 12 gauge loads in #6 lead shot.

In fact on Monday they were $24.99/box just like Prairie Storm was, at Scheels.
Yeah currently it's the same price as Prairie Storm, but it seems to go on sale more often. If you watch the price enough you can usually snag some on a deal through Scheels.

I normally buy the Federal Premium Upland loads. Usually can get them on sale through Scheels at a pretty good price (at today's prices) and they are a quality load. Same specs as the Prairie Storm (FPS and everything else wise) and no Flitestopper. Even in the same box minus the Prairie Storm logo. Last time I bought some for my 16 gauge, I paid $18 a box on sale at Scheels and the equivalent shot size for Prairie Storm was $35.
I usually get my shells for the following year here in the next 5 months. Federal Premium for 18 is a good price. If I find a shell I like for 18 is when I load up, 2 or 3 cases. I went from PS, Federal Premium, Kent, this year B&P. I’m a buy with my hand kinda guy and scheels always will have the best sales eventually. I don’t think Cabelas likes selling things sometimes. I tried the Goose way for about three weeks this year Win. X 1330s $14 a box. I did fine, but got into my own head.

It gets said a lot, but always worth repeating. Make sure you pattern the shells that you are trying to use. So many times one person loves something and someone else thinks it's junk, because patterns in each gun is different. The PS for my gun was eye opening, just because of how tight it held out to 40 yards. Now I would only ever shoot cylinder with that load after seeing it.

I'm in the fence about the flight stoppers. It's similar to the duplex loads, ballistically it seems all pellets should be the same, but I would be curious to run a ton of tests and high speed cameras to see if they do any functional improvements.

The one thing I do know, prairie storm lead patterns extremely tight. I don't think I would run more than Ic for them. When I used mod first time running them, I would either tear them up or miss.
Use a full to open them up. With flight control wads the tighter the choke the worse the wad performs in most cases. IC patterns the best, Mod is a tossup whether its better or not.

When i shot black cloud, i used cyl choke for under 40yd shots.

Back