the kansas upland forecast is out from kdwp

Yes they are...now maybe we can see one rooster every mile instead of every two miles haha..i am really looking forward to the upcoming season..hopefully this is the start of years of recovery

Last edited:
What I find very interesting is that this thread was started just a couple of minutes before midnight last night. It's currently 6:30 AM. This thread has had 93 views.

Amazing how many lurkers are here!!

Agreed..for as many views everyone is being hush hush..so does the report get anyone's juices flowing or is everyone just scared that after reading the report that everyone and their brother is gonna be hunting in their hunting spot?

I was one of those early views, but nothing about it surprised me and I'd already been dreaming about pheasants every night for a week or better. The highly anticipated upland forecast doesn't do much for me these days.

And yes, I believe this report is enough to get more bird hunters to come to KS this season. I also believe there will be good "pockets" outside the areas they mentioned:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I agree kb..i see more quail where we pheasant hunt than i do when i go quail hunting in the flint hills and northeast kansas...hope the boys get into a few roosters this year..i know i am headed out the thursday night before opening weekend..shoot me a message and maybe we can trade a few stories over some refreshing beverages if you and the boys go out a day early

I agree kb..i see more quail where we pheasant hunt than i do when i go quail hunting in the flint hills and northeast kansas...hope the boys get into a few roosters this year..i know i am headed out the thursday night before opening weekend..shoot me a message and maybe we can trade a few stories over some refreshing beverages if you and the boys go out a day early

I believe that wild quail and wild pheasants may have a symbiotic relationship in the south plains, in the area of survival they help each other out in the long run. The more eyes ears and noses that you have on the alert for predators will increase the chances of survival for both species.

The reason I feel this is possible is because I have been more wild quail in the Texas panhandle while pheasant hunting than I have seen in east and central Texas in recent years.

That is why Kansas wildlife officials should make an effort to expand the wild pheasant range eastward, with wild-trapped pheasants or wilder strains of pen raised pheasant.
Wild pheasants have expanded their range into east central Oklahoma into Osage county north of Tulsa along the Arkansas river. If wild pheasant can survive in the prairie country north of Tulsa, they should be able to survive the the prairie country near and south of Independence, Kansas.

This will not happen over night it took nearly 40 years for the wild pheasants to expand into central Oklahoma. Year ago they stock that area with wilder strains of True Pheasants (ringneck type).

Look at the thread "A few pheasants from around the world" in the Discussion section to see photos of other wilder strains of subspecies of ringneck pheasant.

So if you have one pheasant and the population increases 124 percent how many do you have?

To me anyway, it looks like some nice increases in birds. But the question is- "Nice increases from a how many to begin with?"

They are trying to paint a good picture of the hunting forecast so that all the advertising the state has paid for the past few years boasting about pheasant hunting will pay the bills.

I ran into a few nice pockets of pheasants around Ponca City. I don't hunt that area but they are fun to watch in the evening as they move around. Just saying...

I believe that wild quail and wild pheasants may have a symbiotic relationship in the south plains, in the area of survival they help each other out in the long run. The more eyes ears and noses that you have on the alert for predators will increase the chances of survival for both species.

The reason I feel this is possible is because I have been more wild quail in the Texas panhandle while pheasant hunting than I have seen in east and central Texas in recent years.

That is why Kansas wildlife officials should make an effort to expand the wild pheasant range eastward, with wild-trapped pheasants or wilder strains of pen raised pheasant.
Wild pheasants have expanded their range into east central Oklahoma into Osage county north of Tulsa along the Arkansas river. If wild pheasant can survive in the prairie country north of Tulsa, they should be able to survive the the prairie country near and south of Independence, Kansas.

This will not happen over night it took nearly 40 years for the wild pheasants to expand into central Oklahoma. Year ago they stock that area with wilder strains of True Pheasants (ringneck type).

Look at the thread "A few pheasants from around the world" in the Discussion section to see photos of other wilder strains of subspecies of ringneck pheasant.

Kansas does not manage they commercialize. Until that changes things will only continue to get worse. As hunting opportunities decline so does the role of the biologist in the KDWP. With the philosophy our commissioners have adopted, the KDWPT could operate without employing a biologist. It is simply all about the dollars. As long as out of state hunters continue to flock to Kansas to hunt deer, you won't see any changes.

Kansas does not manage they commercialize. Until that changes things will only continue to get worse. As hunting opportunities decline so does the role of the biologist in the KDWP. With the philosophy our commissioners have adopted, the KDWPT could operate without employing a biologist. It is simply all about the dollars. As long as out of state hunters continue to flock to Kansas to hunt deer, you won't see any changes.

+1
:cheers:

About what I would predict, but Ido not put much merit in these reports.

Regarding pheasants north of Tulsa.....HWY 18 east of Ponca is about as far east as you're going to find them (extreme western Osage Co near the Osage/Kay Co line). I'm on the Tulsa/Washington Co line about 20 miles north of Tulsa and there are no pheasants here or any straight north of me to the state line and there never have been. As far as expanding their range, they've existed in the areas NW of Tulsa (close to the KS line) for quite some time and I don't know that you could say they're expanding eastward...

Last edited:
surveys

I would bet they are far more accurate made by the fish and game people than if any of our politicians put one together. I think that their data compared to several decades of doing it is pretty reliable actually and kudo's to all the people that work trying to put it together.

cheers

I spent the weekend hunting doves and deer with my son in NW Kansas, I saw 4 roosters in 2 1/2 days, that wasn't very encouraging.

Rut

Back