The first hunt after losing your dad

CharBroiled

It's been six weeks to the day my dad passed away with a massive heart attack. He was a key member in my little hunting group, once a walker, having been more relegated to being a blocker/truck mover. I know Opening Day will be a bit rough, but I'm just looking for any tips or how you guys handled it after the passing of a loved one. View attachment 8431 We had a good day and he was proud to pose with all of our birds.

I haven't had to experience it yet and don't look forward to it, but Maynard gave some great advice. You know he would want you to enjoy it. Just take some time to remember all of the wonderful times you had together. My dad is by far my favorite hunting companion. Your's probably was too. Sorry for your loss. Dedicate the season to him and relish in the memories.

Man that picture of your dad brought back some memories. My father resembled him a lot. Glasses, handlebar grey moustache and a love for hunting. My father passed when I was eighteen. It will take time like any other grieving process. What I do know about grief is nobody can tell you how to do it. Do what feels right and year by year it will get a bit easier. I still think of him every fall as I have for the last 35 yrs. I wish you luck

I cant offer any advice but can tell youre lucky to have hunted with him. My Dad never hunted. Pretty much just worked all the time

My dad's 80 and still hunts, but not as energetically as before. He is also one of my favorite hunting partners. I'm very lucky have been able to hunt with him for the last 37 years. That said, I hunt without him quite a bit too. I hadn't thought much about hunting after he's gone. I'm sure it will be tough.

I also agree there's a lot of joy in your dad's eyes in that picture. Maynard's advice is probably the best...

Know that your dad will be out there hunting with you in spirit, and that he'd be disappointed for you if you didn't get out into the field.

I lost my dad two years ago and have been amazed how fresh the loss remains after that amount of time. I sometimes hunt with his shotguns now and that seems to help. It takes a while to get accustomed to the finality of the loss. Not sure I will ever get over it, and at some level I hope I don't. He was a good man and deserved to be missed.

It's occurred to me that having a father you didn't miss all that much would be a much sadder situation. Celebrate the fact that you had such a good one. Hang in there.....

Sorry for your loss. My condolence to you and the family.
Like many, my dad was the one that introduced me to hunting. I always miss him when I'm out in the field. But I know he's with me in sprit. I also bring along something of his (whether it's his shotgun, compass or a whistle) on my hunts.
He would want you to carry on and enjoy life to the fullest.
Stay strong. Time helps.

Last edited:
I'll be doing the same thing this fall. My dad was my hunting and fishing partner all my life and taught me most everything I know. He passed from ALS two months ago. Going fishing since then has been emotional for me, I imagine hunting will be the same.

Lost my dad in January 2017 and the season was tough to say the least. My crew of friends helped but there will always be an absence in the field.
View attachment 8442

So very sorry to hear about your loss. Dedicate some of your birds this season and every season in your Dad's memory. He will be with you in spirit. I will never get over losing my Dad, he was a great mentor and role model for me.

My dad is still alive but ate up with cancer. He sent me and Turtle jr out last season opening weekend with his suburban but not him. The pain is hard and I never killed a rooster the whole weekend. Everything was just wrong for me. I am going to miss the opening weekend this year out of respect for him. Maynard gave all of us the best advice. Kill some baby birds for your dad and if they are thick shoot one for my dad please.

Cleaned out dads house this weekend. I now am the proud owner of 25 pairs of hunting pants ranging in waist sizes 36-44 with 30 inch inseams. Don’t understand how a 6’ 3” man wore a 30. Lots of memories were uncovered.

I lost my dad 5 years ago and started hunting with him when I was 5 so I had a lot 27 years of good memories with him in the field, none better than the 20 years worth of trips to SD. It was a tough season for me after he passed but my buddies that I hunt with helped me get through it as there were a lot of spots we hunted in SD that I had hunted with him just the year prior. We did spread his ashes in two of his favorite spots in SD that fall and his dogs ashes 2 years later so they are together once again. I honored him that season and every season I go out there buy always hunting with his Citori the first day of each trip. Damn thumb safety gets me every time on the first flush!! Just go out and enjoy your time in the field and know he is looking down on you laughing every time you miss the gimmie at 10yds!

Back