The Death ROLL

southernblues

You guys know what I'm talking about....when off in the distant, you see your favorite hunting buddy rolling on ground as if they had something on their back they were trying to get off...

Only to realize minutes later it was a dead carcass?

We have a 3 acre pond in backyard and neighbors had been telling me of a large turtle...had to be real old as it was about a foot in diameter. Well it kicked the bucket in the last day or so and my pup brought it up to the house. My pup and older male just had to imprint their mark.

Stank, stenchy, raunchy, wet, pukey smell. I think I would rather do a belly busting swan dive into a cess pool than to have this crap on my hands as I was pulling them off the turtle. I bet I've washed my hands/arms 10 times and can still smell that....

What's your Death Roll story?

I have had several death rolls, skunks, rabbit, cat, the one I liked best was a death roll retrieve my dog did to my cousin and another guy hunting, she had a died skunk and brought it to my cousin first, then when he wouldn't take it, she took it to other guy, and he took it so she would quit. She since has learned 'drop it'.

Rod

Skunk

About 6 years ago, my buddy and I had an absolutely phenomenal day of Hun hunting. One the last yards that we checked, my dog got the full frontal business from an annoyed skunk. We didn't have anything with us at the time to kill the smell. We tried swimming it off of him, just made the scent all the much stronger.

Here is the funny part, I drive a Yukon, so the dogs are in the kennels INSIDE the truck with us.....picture this.....two grown men driving nearly 100 miles back home on the TransCanada Highway in late fall (COLD) with both of our heads sticking out the side windows (like the hounds sometimes do).

Man, I miss that dog.....I just wish the skunk had missed him those few years ago :):)

Saw my father in laws Brittany come back after rolling where the port a potty from his boat got dumped. Nothing like having him roll in YOUR crap. Blue dye and all....

aw jeez. Mine hasn't found too many dead things yet, but she's found crap. First was as a 6mo pup – fresh cat shhh. yuk. then it was horse shhh. ugh.

I have one that is a roller. Dead things or select poo. We have a pond not far from our house and a couple of years ago someone had some cattle in the area. That dog would find the freshest cow poo and just roll in it. One day out there with my wife he comes back prancing like he just won the westminster dog show except he is covered in green goo. I swear it was so bad we thought he was standing under the cow. Thank god there was a pond there.

Have a buddy who's dog rolled in poo on a hike and came back covered in poo with toilet paper hanging off her. Now that was bad.

My last Lab, Maggie when she rolled in coyote crap complete with dung beetles; had it all over her neck, head, & collar. Used all the water I had to get her clean-enough to get her in the Wrangler, then finished the cleansing while dunking her in an irrigation ditch. A couple guys stopped & jumped out of their rig yelling "What the hell are you doing to that dog?!?" Once I told them & they got a whiff, they understood completely (but from a distance, lol.). I did sincerely thank them for inquiring, however. She repeated the act on a putrified salmon a year or so later.

My little Pointer made an art of it. We were hunting woodcock and I lost track of her. Looked out of the thick cover and there she was out in open putting the stalk on what I thought was probably a covey of quail running along the edge of the thicket I was in. There was a patch of greenbriars between us but I pushed through losing my hat and some flesh in the process. Just about the time I realize I am going to make it through the briars she drops and starts rolling in the freshest, wettest steaming pile of cow poop in the pasture. Rotting dead flesh was a great temptation to her as well. Makes me wonder when I see them do the same roll on one of my t-shirts????

I have suffered through the dead skunk roll. In my opinion there is not self respecting dog with time on it's hands, that won't either roll in cat crap, or eat it, or both. Reflections on rolling in wet cow or horse, is boy that stuff sure stains a white dog, and it still smells looooong after the stain is gone!

Back