"Thank you" for access to land?

I don't always leave something. I never leave money! If I have something in the car,maybe I will gift it.Im not paying these guys 100 dollars that's for sure!

Im late to the party on this thread, but first contact i bring myself dressed nicely and clean while being respectful. But its always ended with "what do you drink, i will leave you a thank you when i hunt" and i do leave their favorite bev on the porch with a thank you and my name/number written on a piece of paper. If its not expensive, one every time i hunt otherwise every other time. Always show up the next year before the season with a couple bottles or a 30pk when you ask permission for that year. If you happen to notice the wife drinking something too, dont forget that. And be sure to ask if they would like some dressed and cleaned birds dropped off.

I also make summer sausage and snack sticks, those are always great gifts especially if you happen to catch the farmer out in a field. A sausage/cheese kit or cookies is always a good gift as well if the farmer doesnt drink or wont tell you what he drinks because he doesn't want a gift. But if you are capable, the best gift is always asking if he needs help with anything that day. Theres many ways to thank someone for permission, sometimes if its an old retired farmer they may just want to sit on the porch or tailgate and talk about the old days when they used to hunt.

Oh and never ever end the conversation yourself!!! You can tell pretty quickly if they want to talk or not. Approach on a day when you have hours to talk, some farmers can really get going about the old days. Once you are friends, which may take a couple seasons, one day he will say "i talked to my buddy at breakfast last week and he said he has been seeing a lot of birds on his property, he said you can hunt it if you want. He lives over on..." And thats when you get permission on half the county.
That doesn't happen as much in 2024.

A good start after getting permission: "If I have any luck, would you like a bird? A cleaned bird?" If they say yes, and even if you only get one, make sure they get it, and cleaned.
They don't usually want pheasant. They can get pheasant whenever they want.Give them a few steaks.They will usually take them,or a chuck roast.

Now thats funny....md 20 20 was my go to wine cooler beverage during college almost 1/2 century ago....hasn't crossed my mind for almost as long...
Where do the years go
That was actually an insult to this guy,so the next time I gave him a bottle of Jim beam.Later I learned he was a jahovas witness lol...

Now thats funny....md 20 20 was my go to wine cooler beverage during college almost 1/2 century ago....hasn't crossed my mind for almost as long...
Where do the years go
You were following the advice of a poet: "Candy's dandy but liquor's quicker."

While we haven’t had many times where we’ve needed to ask permission, I usually carry some items with me in the event it comes up. Living in the northwest I usually bring some fresh salmon and halibut for the landowner where we stay. I also have some smoked salmon and stainless drinking mugs, and other small items in my gear that I give when the opportunity arises. Sometimes a thank you is all you need.

While we haven’t had many times where we’ve needed to ask permission, I usually carry some items with me in the event it comes up. Living in the northwest I usually bring some fresh salmon and halibut for the landowner where we stay. I also have some smoked salmon and stainless drinking mugs, and other small items in my gear that I give when the opportunity arises. Sometimes a thank you is all you need.
I have a place for you to stay and some land you can hunt if you are offering up salmon AND halibut!!! Advance payment is appreciated....

I have a place for you to stay and some land you can hunt if you are offering up salmon AND halibut!!! Advance payment is appreciated....
Lol. Headed to NODak. Yeah, fish is easy for me to get. Salmon season winding down. Lots of halibut and Lingcod this year. We’ve been fortunate with the places we’ve stayed. The folks here are truly exceptional. Wish I could bring em more but they are happy that they get something fresh and different.

You the man!

The last two times I've been on short-notice, late seasons hunt the last weekend of January on private land, my group gave the host several bottles of bourbon that semed to be hard to get in SE SD. This was in additon to the $ we paid to stay at his farmhouse and hunt his place.

Both times, the host was most hospitable and reasonable with the price he asked to hunt his place.

During the offseason, I'm always on the lookout for something local to home that the host may appreciate, but may not be commonly available in that part of the country.

It reminds me of something once said by the late, great humorist from my home state, Jerry Clower, "Don't rob yourself of the joy of giving."

Back