"Thank you" for access to land?

In another post A5 Sweet 16 made the comment, "How many times have we heard a 6-pack shows adequate appreciation for an afternoon of hunting?"

I've only hunted public so far but if I did approach a farm and was given permission what would be a adequate "thank you" for that first time contact? (besides a 6 pack of PBR :)
That's it.6 pack cheap beer.

I will sometimes ask if I can do anything for the land owner or offer them a turkey for the holidays. Sometimes, you have to "read the room". Some people are friendly enough but do not need to spend any needless time with someone they don't really know.
That's a good point.Farmers are not always great conversational people.

That's a good point.Farmers are not always great conversational people.
I got relatives that raise cattle. They always buy sell and trade with other cattle growers. One time they drove out in the boonies to buy or sell a bull to a SD farmer buddy. When it was time for them to leave he walked out side in 15 below zero and talked and talked. In shirt sleeves. Then they jumped in the truck and he stood outside the entire time as they drove away. My uncle said, "I don't think he sees many people in his day to day life."😆

In another post A5 Sweet 16 made the comment, "How many times have we heard a 6-pack shows adequate appreciation for an afternoon of hunting?"

I've only hunted public so far but if I did approach a farm and was given permission what would be a adequate "thank you" for that first time contact? (besides a 6 pack of PBR :)

Im late to the party on this thread, but first contact i bring myself dressed nicely and clean while being respectful. But its always ended with "what do you drink, i will leave you a thank you when i hunt" and i do leave their favorite bev on the porch with a thank you and my name/number written on a piece of paper. If its not expensive, one every time i hunt otherwise every other time. Always show up the next year before the season with a couple bottles or a 30pk when you ask permission for that year. If you happen to notice the wife drinking something too, dont forget that. And be sure to ask if they would like some dressed and cleaned birds dropped off.

I also make summer sausage and snack sticks, those are always great gifts especially if you happen to catch the farmer out in a field. A sausage/cheese kit or cookies is always a good gift as well if the farmer doesnt drink or wont tell you what he drinks because he doesn't want a gift. But if you are capable, the best gift is always asking if he needs help with anything that day. Theres many ways to thank someone for permission, sometimes if its an old retired farmer they may just want to sit on the porch or tailgate and talk about the old days when they used to hunt.

Oh and never ever end the conversation yourself!!! You can tell pretty quickly if they want to talk or not. Approach on a day when you have hours to talk, some farmers can really get going about the old days. Once you are friends, which may take a couple seasons, one day he will say "i talked to my buddy at breakfast last week and he said he has been seeing a lot of birds on his property, he said you can hunt it if you want. He lives over on..." And thats when you get permission on half the county.

Last edited:
I haven't hunted public land for pheasants in nearly 20 years. I got sick of the crowds and trying to race to the spots to be the first one there, only to fight it after I got there. Hunting late season was nearly impossible after birds had been pressured for months. So I decided at one point that I was going to spend a lot of time scouting and knocking on doors instead, developing a network of landowners where I could hunt and generally avoid hunting pressure. Its paid of handsomely. I've developed about 12-15 really good spots all within about a 10 mile radius of each other and almost no one else hunts there.

I obtained permission at many of these spots when I was still in high school. By myself. With my own truck. Some said no. But many said yes, and generally speaking, once they say yes, they let you keep coming back year after year as long as you don't screw it up. I now do the same for spring turkey hunting every season. The one caveat is that most of this land is hunted during deer firearms season, so I cannot go in there until that is over in mid November. I am fine with that.

Every September or October, I spend basically a whole day driving around and asking people in person. If they aren't home, I have to go back. Its very time consuming but once the season is open, it pays off. I always offer them something in return. Most deny it. I offer vacuum sealed walleye filets, a cleaned pheasant, venison, or all three. Most people will not turn down walleye, but you would be surprised by how many people decline a pheasant or venison steaks.

I generally think most hunters are pretty lazy when it comes to trying to obtain permission on private land. Either that or they just don't have the time. Anyone could hunt all these spots I have hunted for years if they asked for permission. But no one else does. You have to also be willing to be denied.

I'm always looking for new spots to add too. Sometimes people move or the land gets altered and you lose a spot. Its gonna happen. But most of this private land generally stays pretty close to the same as it was 20 years ago. I generally think the best strategy is if you go solo or just with one other person. Don't show up with a group of 8 hunters and 5 dogs.

I obtained permission at many of these spots when I was still in high school. By myself. With my own truck. Some said no. But many said yes, and generally speaking, once they say yes, they let you keep coming back year after year as long as you don't screw it up.

Didn't you get a lot of spots from your grandpa?

I have given gift cards to Bomgaars and memberships to PF. I do like the Pizza Ranch idea. We have a local buffet that many of the local landowners seem to enjoy, that would be another good option. I know the landowners already, I don't think alcohol would be a good idea.

I was gonna drop off a bottle of wine 🍷 but then I got a feeling the lady was maybe trying to quit drinking. I often go with a gas card to a popular gas station in the area. I don't think many people in rural areas have electric cars.
One time I dropped off a bottle of mad dog 20 20 at a farmers house. I saw him in the hardware store 2 days later,and he gave me the stink eye...lol

One time I dropped off a bottle of mad dog 20 20 at a farmers house. I saw him in the hardware store 2 days later,and he gave me the stink eye...lol
Now thats funny....md 20 20 was my go to wine cooler beverage during college almost 1/2 century ago....hasn't crossed my mind for almost as long...
Where do the years go

After last year I mailed thank you cards out, and included a picture of the dog with a pheasant. My dad was giving away old furniture, the land owner stopped to pick some of it up, and said he was really impressed with the card. Small things can make a big difference.

Back