Thank god I have a great wife!

tomt

Leaving Saturday after Thanksgiving for a solo 2 weeks in SD, can’t wait! Taking my new pup who turned 1yr old this Thursday. She did great on a 3 day hunt opening week here in CO. The pup stays close and points ok for her age, hunted well with my bro-in laws older dogs. Quite proud of her!

Going to cross the border somewhere east or west of the river on the 26th and go from there. Have some spots from previous trips but I love mixing new fields into the mix. First 5 days on my own, then visiting friends in Minneapolis to give pup a break, then Dec 6ish starting up around Groton on a friends ranch (have to wait until after deer season there as they lease it only to deer, not bird hunters) and winging it from there.

Anyone want to walk a field or two, let me know. Besides the couple of days at my friends place, I’m flexible on where in SD I will hunt, willing to meet somewhere or share where I’m at. If no plans made prior, I’m going to call some CO’s and go where the birds are.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
Speaking of great wives, I just returned home from a month long combo SD Pheasant hunt and ID Elk hunt. She told me she had a bunch of "use or lose" vacation time to burn before Jan and said she'd be happy to go to SD for a week or so if I wanted to.

(y) We're leaving for Mitchel next Monday! (No RV this time) 🙂

Speaking of great wives, I just returned home from a month long combo SD Pheasant hunt and ID Elk hunt. She told me she had a bunch of "use or lose" vacation time to burn before Jan and said she'd be happy to go to SD for a week or so if I wanted to.

(y) We're leaving for Mitchel next Monday! (No RV this time) 🙂
Where in Idaho?

Back to work tomorrow for me. I've been off since the last week of October. I only missed one day of hunting as we drove to Mobridge area for a deer hunt. The bird numbers have been excellent if a little spotty but the weather has been near perfect. Makes me dream of retiring but dont want to rush it either.

I’ve got a great wife, great, but she may have to up her game a bit to stay up with some of these others. 🤣🤣. Hard to spend much time chasing birds without a supportive wife or being single.

I too have a wonderful wife, she grew up in Nebraska and her dad was an outdoorsman. She helps feed my addiction by allowing me to have four hunting dogs and gives me her Christmas bonus for hunting trips. She enjoys eating the game i bring home and is a wonderful cook. She bakes breads and make awesome peanut cluster i give to farmers. Every saturday in the fall she has a printed college football schedule and we enjoy watching games together. We have enjoyed 26 yrs together and looking forard to many more.

I too have a wonderful wife, she grew up in Nebraska and her dad was an outdoorsman. She helps feed my addiction by allowing me to have four hunting dogs and gives me her Christmas bonus for hunting trips. She enjoys eating the game i bring home and is a wonderful cook. She bakes breads and make awesome peanut cluster i give to farmers. Every saturday in the fall she has a printed college football schedule and we enjoy watching games together. We have enjoyed 26 yrs together and looking forard to many more.
Holy cow!!!! You win, no way my wife is going to bake anything for anybody, much less watch football! 😜

My wife understands she can’t really compete with the outdoors and the quality time with the dogs. She is an amazing lady.
Her grandfather used to hunt in South Dakota in the 40’s and 50’s. He was an excellent teacher and a wise grandfather. Still grouse hunted in his 80’s. My wife learned from a role model.

Last edited:
It does for me. My wife is incredibly supportive and loves game meat. She loves to ski and I encourage her to get in as many days as she can. She does the same for me when it comes to hunting. I can't remember a time she discouraged me. I thank my lucky stars.

Same here.
My wife is an avid outdoors woman. She enjoys hunting and fishing as well. Spring turkey and bowhunting are her times, as well as kayaking and snowmobiling. Heck she shot a bull moose in Newfoundland years back with her bow!
She encourages time in the outdoors, or whatever one's passion is......you only get one chance to enjoy your life.

Same same. In pickstown tonight. Heading north tomorrow, don’t know exactly where. Will be driving and scouting right after sunup.
Old dog flushed a rooster other side of thorn bushes today, no shot. Young black lab pup found 2 roosters, pointed one, actually her first wild rooster point so im very happy about that. Both fell and were recovered. 2 hens flushed in range. No other birds seen except a group or two off the paved roads.

Last edited:
Back