Taxidermy

remy3424

I have 2 roosters at my taxidermist from late in the 2018-2019 season. I have had a mount envisioned with 3 roosters and have been looking for one more nice rooster to add. In the last 2 plus this year, I have had over 140 roosters and haven't had what liked for a candidate. About 6 months ago after talking with the taxidermist, I decided I was going to put the base together, as far as I could. I had been pecking away at it and then I hurt my back, then season had started once I had recovered from that. Well, I finshed what I could this week (took the week off from work) and yesterday dropped it off at the taxidermist's shop so he can maybe get started. We talked about setting it up to add the future bird, I left him with 6 or 7 bundles of native grasses to potentially use. I think it will be the little blue stem that he will end-up using. When I returned home it was 3:00 and mid 30s for temps, so I decided to take the new pup out for a quick outing in our crp. Once we got into the switchgrass, birds started boiling out, the dog chased after the first 2 that crossed in front of him, so he was gone. They kept coming so I waded in deeper and a rooster flushed within range and I dropped it, hustled-up and marked it with my cap and called the pup down to have him help find it. In a few minutes I saw it dead and waited for the pup to find it, which he eventually did. It was a pretty decent rooster the wings were broken but didn't appear to be missing many feathers....back to the taxidermist we went! He did have an unusal spur....I will call it a bottle opener20211230_163357.jpg
I am hoping/wishing, that within a couple months I get the completed mount back (looking as good as I having been imagining) and will post a pic of it.

Add any pics of bird mounts you have that turned out great. Love to see them!!

Well, it seems this is actually going to happen! I received a text pic from the taxidermist. I am realistically thinking it will be finished in weeks now, no more months or years! A bit of after-season excitement for me!

I pheasant hunted for around 40 years before I had the itch to mount one. Then I wanted another one or two or three...
It was most of 5 seasons of roosters, right around 300 birds, to find the ones that will be coming. Once you get looking for a good one to mount, it is harder than you think to fine them. I am not a great shot, so it is more often the dog that roughs them up, although at least one of them my old dog retrieved and I shoved into the game pouch, a very cold windy day, I didn't even looked it at until I was at the truck.

Last edited:
I got this bird on public land out of a cedar shelter belt during the big snow storm in South Dakota last year. This thing was a beast and had like 3/4” long spurs. My Kay girl brought it back to me and I knew it had to be mounted. I finally got it back last week.

IMG_6263.jpegIMG_6264.jpegIMG_6265.jpeg

I have one pheasant that is standing on a piece of wood in my office that I shot almnost 25 years ago! It still looks really nice, I am amazed after 25 years it still looks good. I also have in my office two Hungarian Partridge. It was the first two I ever shot and it was a double, one flush two shots, two birds. Just looking at them right now brings back memories!

Back