Talk to me about quail...

JBHandJr

New to hunting quail, not even sure how to tell them apart from the myriad of small birds in NE. Please bare with some of my questions below...

1. How do I know it is a quail that just flushed? It seems like they don't always flush as multiples and there are a lot of small birds that hold tight here.

2. What size shot do most of you use? Steel and lead.

3. Any pictures to help me tell what they look like in flight? I don't want to shoot just to find out I've got the wrong species down, not a very humane way of learning!

4. Any other noob tips, pass them along!

-Barry-

Missouri opens next week. Will use 6 shot lead in the barrel and 7.5 in the magazine. If a pheasant gets up, six will do the job in the heavy cover we will hunt. 6 is okay for quail. Rather use 7.5 if pheasants were not around.

7.5 would be good early in the season for pheasants if cover is a little thinner.

Steel is a little trickier. Sevens are fine for quail. IMO not good for pheasants. Can anyone recommend a good steel six for both pheasant and quail?

No other small bird will give the rush of wings that a flushing quail does. I know that doesn't mean much to you now but after you've flushed a few you will understand.

No other bird flushes like a quail , especially when the entire covey goes. They have a very sustained powerful flight. The only bird possible to mistake for them is a meadowlark. Once you see quail you will never mistake them for a meadowlark. I use #6 and 7 1/2. I rarely find them in the exact same cover as pheasants. You will find them in the same area , but not the same cover usually.

Missouri opens next week. Will use 6 shot lead in the barrel and 7.5 in the magazine. If a pheasant gets up, six will do the job in the heavy cover we will hunt. 6 is okay for quail. Rather use 7.5 if pheasants were not around.

7.5 would be good early in the season for pheasants if cover is a little thinner.

Steel is a little trickier. Sevens are fine for quail. IMO not good for pheasants. Can anyone recommend a good steel six for both pheasant and quail?

Hevimetal 4's might be your best bet. The hevi part is suppposed to be 3 shot sizes smaller.

Last edited:
Meadowlarks are the only possible bird that I can think of off the top of my head that you MIGHT confuse with a quail. Although meadowlarks won't have as strong of take off as a quail and a bit more lazy wing action, and of course you won't get the strong fluttering sound of a quail with a meadowlark.

The way that I typically can tell if it's a quail is I shoot at them and I miss every single one.... it's a quail. :)

To me a flushing covey has always sounded like a dog shaking off. At least GSPs anyway... There have been many times when hunting that my dog stops to shake off and I think I hear a covey going off. Maybe its their long ears...

To me a flushing covey has always sounded like a dog shaking off. At least GSPs anyway... There have been many times when hunting that my dog stops to shake off and I think I hear a covey going off. Maybe its their long ears...

I've been tricked by the shaking dog covey many times lol.

That works on Brittanys too. :D

Back