Taking old sweet 16 hunting

mattk

Hi Guys,

I just bought a sweet sixteen, produced in 1951. I am debating taking it pheasant hunting, and wanted some input/suggestions. Thanks!

I had a place that had 16ga fiocchi but you didn't respond where youre located.
Why would you buy it but not hunt with it?

Ammo is not as big an issue as some make it to be. Plenty of online options if you don't have any sources locally. Please tell us where you're located and what your Sweet is choked

I had a place that had 16ga fiocchi but you didn't respond where youre located.
Why would you buy it but not hunt with it?
Went to the Walmart, they were sold out. Ended up going to a little gun shop after going to many and found 3 boxes of Federal. Thinking about buying reloading equipment so I don’t have this problem!!

Congratulations on a classic , I sure would as well . I would make sure she is good and clean and I would run a few loads through her on clays to ensure function and maybe pattern a few loads you plan on using .

Do you know what choke it has???
I'd definitely make sure it's all cleaned up & lubed & shoot the thing if there's nothing wrong with it.
Set friction rings up for light loads & put extra oil on the magazine tube. I just use RemOil. Works great.
If you have to use non-tox, my preference would be bismuth to protect the choke/barrel. Plus, it's just better than steel. :poop:+🥄
If it's full choke, I wouldn't shoot any steel though it.
If it's modified or improved cylinder, you'd be fine with steel because todays shot cups are tough enough to protect the barrel.
But...I wouldn't shoot any steel larger than #4 (maybe #3 if it happens to be imp. cylinder). Don't want shot to bridge & bulge the choke.
Enjoy!

I'm not too sure you could find all of your reloading components right now. I did the same thing with my 28. Bought the reloader and components. In the end, it wasn't really necessary. If this wasn't mid season for everything, you'd still be able to buy 16 online with no problem. I just ordered a case of Fiocchi HV 5 for my 16 two weeks ago. There are 16 out there online.

The gun is 70 years old. Unless it has been done recently I would replace the friction rings and recoil spring. I did that with my 1960 Sweet I bought years back and it made a big difference. Also, make sure the friction rings are installed properly. Mine weren't when I got it and the recoil was terrible. They had placed both friction rings at the bottom of the magazine tube.

Just a word of advice before you go the reloading route. Unless you plan to do a lot of shooting with your Sweet (i.e. trap, sheet, sporting clays, etc.) reloading is not worth it. You will unlikely never recoup the cost of the equipment and components, There area a lot of good 16 ga. shell out there both lead and non-tox. Even if they cost you a little more that normal it will still be cheaper than reloading.

Thats my main hunting gun as well, I have a couple, the latest born in 1959 like me. What Dakotazeb said is spot on regarding rings and springs. DEADLY using Fiocchi golden pheasant # 5, luckily I stored up many cases of the shells so my grandchildren will probably have enough for their hunting careers too lol.

Went to the Walmart, they were sold out. Ended up going to a little gun shop after going to many and found 3 boxes of Federal. Thinking about buying reloading equipment so I don’t have this problem!!
I just left Cabelas in Mitchell and they are well stocked on most shells including Bismuth and Prairie Storm in 16 if this is where youre headed.

Do you know what choke it has???
I'd definitely make sure it's all cleaned up & lubed & shoot the thing if there's nothing wrong with it.
Set friction rings up for light loads & put extra oil on the magazine tube. I just use RemOil. Works great.
If you have to use non-tox, my preference would be bismuth to protect the choke/barrel. Plus, it's just better than steel. :poop:+🥄
If it's full choke, I wouldn't shoot any steel though it.
If it's modified or improved cylinder, you'd be fine with steel because todays shot cups are tough enough to protect the barrel.
But...I wouldn't shoot any steel larger than #4 (maybe #3 if it happens to be imp. cylinder). Don't want shot to bridge & bulge the choke.
Enjoy!
Mine
Thats my main hunting gun as well, I have a couple, the latest born in 1959 like me. What Dakotazeb said is spot on regarding rings and springs. DEADLY using Fiocchi golden pheasant # 5, luckily I stored up many cases of the shells so my grandchildren will probably have enough for their hunting careers too lol.
My a5 is 90 years old 12 gauge mag.

Reactions: zia
Join the 16 ga. Society and all your ammo problems will go away. A lot of the 16 ga. shells will not work in the Sweet 16. Do some research before buying ammo. I have several 16 ga. SxS's.

Back