Taking Non-Hunters Along

BritChaser

Ever take a non-hunter afield? How did it go? Was your companion bored, appalled, interested, or what? I took three girlfriends (seriatim haha) and they enjoyed it although none wanted to gun. The first was a tall, cool Texan whose daddy was a NASA engineer. She went along I think just for the hang out and maybe a bit of curiosity. In the first field I bagged three phez in about five minutes, one shot each. (Luck and there were lots of birds back then.) I glanced over at her after I knocked down the third one. She was carrying her head a little tilted to the side and looking into the middle distance, clearly in thought. I never asked but I'm guessing she had a big "Huh!" in her mind considering that I was a Denver city slicker who had taken her to a jazz club on our first date. The drive back from western Kansas was as good as the hunting haha. Any theories about women going for proven hunter-gatherers?

Another was a Russian who had been born, raised, and married in the USSR. She knew about guns because high school students in the USSR in the summer after their sophomore year had to go through sub-basic military training. She learned to tear down, reassemble, shoot an AK-47 and infantry maneuvers, and took an orientation ride in a tank. When I showed her my scoped 30-06, she said, "Mm-hmm. Sniper rifle." Our first hunting trip was into the mountains for duskys. We found some on a Forest Service road and got out to walk them up. Some walked off the road but a small one remained. In her cute Russian accent, girl friend said "Shoot that one!" I said it was kind of small and she replied, "Oh. OK. We don't want any teeny tiny little bullshity birds."

OK, let's hear about your experiences with non-hunters with you afield.

Last edited:
My wife came along with me late last year. She had watched dog training and seen the dog work on hikes around here but never been out actually hunting. She enjoyed the experience so much that she wants to hunt with me next season.

I usually hunt solo so I enjoyed the company and it will be nice having another gun along.

When I was in college I had a girlfriend living with me and my 2 dogs. She helped train and exercise them. The female was great for her but the male would bully her. She weighed a hundred soaking weight and he weighed about 80. She walked along hunting numerous times our first year together. The 2nd year she wanted to shoot starting with Clay pigeons. In the fall I asked if she wanted to get a license and she was all for it. We went out numerous times and after never shooting at a bird she said you know I just can't kill a bird. She had no problem with me hunting,no problem with cleaning and eating them she just wasn't into the actual shooting.

I have had other girlfriends go along for the exercise and never any problems. I have had buddies bring there non-hunting wife or girlfriend and never a issue. My sons girlfriend joined us this last season in early January. She is from LA so she enjoyed the snow but was skeptical of me telling her not to wear certain things as she would be too warm and also would ruin them. She understood what i meant when we actually were out in the fields and sloughs.

Ever take a non-hunter afield? How did it go? Was your companion bored, appalled, interested, or what? I took three girlfriends (seriatim haha) and they enjoyed it although none wanted to gun. The first was a tall, cool Texan whose daddy was a NASA engineer. She went along I think just for the hang out and maybe a bit of curiosity. In the first field I bagged three phez in about five minutes, one shot each. (There were lots of birds back then.) I glanced over at her after I knocked down the third one. She was carrying her head a little tilted to the side and looking into the middle distance, clearly in thought. I never asked but I'm guessing she had a big "Huh!" in her mind considering that I was a Denver city slicker who had taken her to a jazz club on our first date. The drive back from western Kansas was . . . expeditious. Any theories about women going for proven hunter-gatherers?

Another was a Russian who had been born, raised, and married in the USSR. She knew about guns because high school students in the USSR had to go through sub-basic military training in the summer after their sophomore year. She learned to tear down, reassemble, and shoot an AK-47, infantry maneuvers, and took an orientation ride in a tank. When I showed her my scoped 30-06, she said, "Mm-hmm. Sniper rifle." Our first hunting trip was into the mountains for duskys. We found some on a Forest Service road and got out to walk them up. Some walked off the road but a small one remained. Girlfriend said "Shoot that one!" I said it was kind of small and she replied, "Oh. OK. We don't want any teeny tiny little bullshity birds."

OK, let's hear about your experiences with non-hunters with you afield.
She's right.Don't shoot young birds.Bad karma,and a karma event will get you.

My wife came along with me late last year. She had watched dog training and seen the dog work on hikes around here but never been out actually hunting. She enjoyed the experience so much that she wants to hunt with me next season.

I usually hunt solo so I enjoyed the company and it will be nice having another gun along.
Don't take her.

I have taken my wife with while turkey hunting a couple times. Sitting in a blind on a nice spring morning for a few hours was something she enjoyed. Of course we had comfortable chairs and hot coffee. And I shot a tom one time when she was with too.

I have never asked her to go with deer or pheasant hunting because I already know what the answer would be. So there's no point in even asking.

I have taken my wife with while turkey hunting a couple times. Sitting in a blind on a nice spring morning for a few hours was something she enjoyed. Of course we had comfortable chairs and hot coffee. And I shot a tom one time when she was with too.

I have never asked her to go with deer or pheasant hunting because I already know what the answer would be. So there's no point in even asking.
I think if you guys took your wife along on a short trip and let them either watch from the truck or do a little walking and then introduced them to some of your contacts(characters😀) they would have a good time. Let them experience small town cafes and dive bars. Hell there are successful TV shows about those experiences.

As a bonus they can pick you up at the end of the field or ditch and save you some walking.

Keep in mind if you would rather they didn't go bring them along and make sure they are miserable problem solved !

I took my wife when she was my fiancé, her dad was a big upland hunter so she enjoyed our time in the field and was amazed on how the dogs worked in the field. She didn't carry a gun but joined me a few times.
Took a high school girlfriend goose hunting, we were at a stake and just pass shooting she didn't carry a gun and much to my dismay and comments wore bright winter apparel, she brought me good luck as I killed two geese in short order and we carried them out. I did let her shoot my gun and it about knocked her over....kinda funny.
My dad and I took my sister and she enjoyed the time in the field and shot the gun but that was about it.
No big issues.

So, you've had your fill of butch lesbians. OK, that's understandable. But please tell us, what were those butch lesbians like?

Last edited:
Back