Swing thru help

I trust my instincts. For example, Todd Bender recommends a 42 inch lead at skeet station 3. My lead is half that. ...

Just my experience...i use about what Bender recommends. All the math and test data indicates it will consume enough time for a legal skeet load of 1200 fps muzzle velocity to reach a legal skeet target such that the target travels about 3.5 ft or 42". Slower targets and/ or faster shells will take less lead for a centered hit.

Thanks guys for the kind words. It means a lot. Most guys take one look and think I am measuring the lead. The goal is to learn to keep both eyes on the target from the acquisition of the target to the end of the follow thru while knowing where your barrel is. It helps Gil Ash does something similar. I think the correct yardage and lead helps.

I do not know why my lead is short. One winter, I practiced a 42 inch lead. That spring could not hit anything from station 4. Cut the lead back to 21 inches and hit almost everything in the middle of the field. I will not let anyone describe my swing to me. I do not want to think about it.

My forty yard lead is twice my twenty yard lead. Whatever I am doing, it is very consistent.

Thanks guys for the kind words. It means a lot. Most guys take one look and think I am measuring the lead. The goal is to learn to keep both eyes on the target from the acquisition of the target to the end of the follow thru while knowing where your barrel is. It helps Gil Ash does something similar. I think the correct yardage and lead helps.

I do not know why my lead is short. One winter, I practiced a 42 inch lead. That spring could not hit anything from station 4. Cut the lead back to 21 inches and hit almost everything in the middle of the field. I will not let anyone describe my swing to me. I do not want to think about it.

My forty yard lead is twice my twenty yard lead. Whatever I am doing, it is very consistent.

:thumbsup: the 'both eyes open and tracking the target' technique has a proven history of well over 100 years, probably 200 years.

Reasons for a shorter lead could be faster shells, slower targets, closer distance to the target, or a combination of these. Another possibility is your visual perception of the lead differs from actual lead which can be due to physiological conditions. But variance of the physics isn't a possibility.

Back