Sw nd plots/wpa

JPH

Heading to hunt some private ground in Adams/Hettinger counties after Christmas. Considering hunting some of the PLOTS and WMA in the area if needed or for a change of scenery. Wondering thoughts of late season hunting on these public areas? Do they get so pounded the birds vacate for adjacent private ground, or would some be worth a walk? I know last year when we were in the area all PLOTS were fairly barren due to snow cover. Looks like this year snow is minimal so maybe the PLOTS ground will be a better option.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi, it's very true that we've not had the snow cover this year like in the past, in fact last Sat. it got to 50 and the melt was on. Most of the snow is gone for now. As to the hunting, the SW part of the state gets hit hard, but this time of the year most of the locals or fair weather hunters have packed it in for the season. That being said, a lot of the PLOTS aren't worth hunting, most have been hayed or even grazed over with not much cover, but you can still find them if you do your leg work (and some driving). Ones close to town are IMO a waste of time. Sometimes a PLOTS can have the best cover available in an area, so as I said, you'll have to do some looking. WPA's are different. If you want to use non-tox, I'd give them a go. Most folks around here don't care for non-tox and won't bother hunting them for upland game. They can have some great cover and with the lack of snow well worth the effort looking into. Also, this time of year it tends to be easier to get on private land as well, all you have to do is ask. In short, this time of year can be boom or bust, just all depends on the day and the area. It can't hurt to walk them, you never know what's over the hill.

Best of luck to you! If you have any more questions, let me know, happy to help!

Best!

Greg

Killed plenty of pheasants with non-tox over the years. I go with a group that waterfowl hunts , as do I. I usually dont pack lead for the trip.

Back