Surprise find

murphya

Was out this morning for about three hours. Ten minutes or so after starting the Garmin indicates a point about 85 yards away. Running pheasants have been a problem so did not expect a bird. Walked up on a solid point and attempted to flush, nothing, moved 10-15 feet further and a small covey of quail flushed. Was pleased to see them as I have not seen any, in this area, for several years. About an hour later another small covey. Not the same birds. Seeing them pleased me as they have been scarce in my area of northern IL. Eventually got two pheasants.

That had to be a good feeling seeing those quail:). We don't get quail this far north of the state, but I had a dozen or so Huns inhabiting an area before the habitat was removed. Still was cool knowing they were out there. Up until then I hadn't seen Huns since the 90's:(

Best of luck for the remainder of the season:cheers:

Nick

Was out this morning for about three hours. Ten minutes or so after starting the Garmin indicates a point about 85 yards away. Running pheasants have been a problem so did not expect a bird. Walked up on a solid point and attempted to flush, nothing, moved 10-15 feet further and a small covey of quail flushed. Was pleased to see them as I have not seen any, in this area, for several years. About an hour later another small covey. Not the same birds. Seeing them pleased me as they have been scarce in my area of northern IL. Eventually got two pheasants.

very cool. what do you consider N IL ?

Il location

I now live in Henry county, lived in Whiteside for a number of years. Those locations are west and north of the Quad Cities.

I'm a touch north of the quad cities but about 1.5 hours west. I have seen 3 coveys this year and heard them several times around home. The dog pinned his first covey down yesterday. I'm pretty excited to see them around this area because I haven't heard quail in Iowa since I was a kid and lived in the southern part of the state.

Nice find - sounds like you had a great morning!

Back