Sunglasses and what color lenses do you prefer for pheasant?

Brad6260

Wear sunglasses pheasant hunting? What color lenses do you prefer that show pheasant (Cock vs hen) color the best ?

I used to wear orange lenses. I switched to yellow because orange wasn’t available for my prescription. I think the yellow is preferable.

I use a gray or tinted on sunny days and yellow on overcast and cloudy days. Yellow helps brighten things up. I would also recommend shatterproof lens to protect from a stray pellet in the eye.

I just lost a pair of brown tinted bifocal reader sunglasses in the field that I liked a lot and will likely replace but seemed like the time to ask the question.
The brown works good but wondered mainly if the gray would show bird color better. Love the bifocal feature.

I use the same glasses that I shoot Sporting Clays in which are Oakley M-Frame. I have several lenses that I have acquired over the years for different light and background conditions. You can use any sunglasses as long as their rated with impact resistant lenses. A yellow, clear or even an orange lens for low light and maybe a grey or brown lens for full sun. I will say one thing, use as light a tint as you can get away with and still not squint as your eyes focus much better with more light being transmitted to the eye.

Last edited:
Been looking for these. Ive searched all of the Stihl dealers in my area without any luck. I see them on ebay but really want to try them on.
Did you find them at retail anywhere? I know we’re not in the same area but..

I bought my first pair several years ago at Runnings in Aberdeen, SD. They had several styles in stock at the time. A friend had recommended the Sleek Line model. Other pairs I've either had to have a dealer order or buy on eBay. Go ahead and get a pair on eBay, I'm quite certain you will like them. If not, you're only out $20.

Be cautious of lens that have any reddish/purple tint. Some grey and brown lens have some of those colors. The only time I have mistaken a hen for a rooster was right after I had put on a pair of prescription lens in late afternoon. I saw colors where there weren't any. I'm now careful to select lens without any reddish/purple tint. I also try not to change from clear to sunglasses without giving time to adjust to any color changes.

Cass

I only change lenses based on sunlight. I typically wear clear lenses. I'd say 90% of the time. If it is overcast and cloudy and will stay that way I may put in orange or yellow.

If there is snow on the ground the reflection on a bright day can get bad so I'll put in tinted.

But I don't think you need to change lenses to be able to distinguish between a cock bird and a hen

Back