Summer daydreaming

sloth5202

When should you start thinking about a new dog? My dogs are a long ways from being put out to pasture(1.5 and 4 years old) but I've already started to think about what my next dog breed will be. I didn't have a woman in my life when I picked out the current pack so really the only opinion that mattered was mine. The old lady doesn't particularly care for all the dog hair the springers produce so I'm thinking some sort of shorthair dog. I knew they shed just as much but the cleanup is a little easier.

Some of my other considerations are the type of hunting I do(mostly pheasant). I'm also fairly young so a big runner doesn't scare me too much either. I love the excitement of hunting behind a good springer but hunting behind a good pointer could be really fun too.

I'm thinking about going to a few local hunt tests and trying to hook up with some other hunters that run some different breeds as well. I really haven't hunted behind too many dog breeds so I think just checking it out would be fun. Also another reason to get out on the prairie.... so back to my original question.... When do you start thinking about that next dog?

P.S. I love my springers and have learned so much from the both of them. They are great hunters with a drive for birds that just never stops so it would be really hard to go another direction.

Anytime is a good time for a new dog! As for a different breed, just read my signature.:D

sloth, I started out with Springers and switched to Brittanys about 15 years ago. I'll always have a spot in my heart for Springers but I love these Britts just as much and maybe even more. Couldn't go back to a non-pointing dog again. So if you really like the spaniel type dogs you might consider a Brittany. And if you really want to stay with a dog that looks like a Springer but points I would take a serious look at the French Spaniel. They are a beautiful dog and look like a Springer with longer legs and an undocked tail. You have the only breeder in the USA of French Spaniels close to you. He's Paul Fischenich with Minnesota French Spaniels in Dodge Center, MN.

Here's a link to when he posted pups for sale a while back. I posted some photos of the dogs for him on this thread.

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3094

Take your time and look around. Hunt behind some of the breeds you are considering, if possible. Heck, half the fun is in the search. Good luck.

I completely agree that the search is half the fun!!! I would love to get behind some of these breeds . I've honestly never hunted behind a good pointer so that would be a real treat I'm sure.

Those French Spaniels are great looking dogs! Having people guessing wrong on the type of dog when I have them out for a walk could get a little annoying but in the same breath it would be fun to talk about them. I do get nervous about all the hair in any type of spaniel. I know keeping them clipped does wonders but it can just be kind of a pain. My dogs always seem to find the biggest burr bush in the field and run right through it...

If you want to hunt behind a EP or a GSP let me know this fall. I don't promise any birds but I can say you will get to walk alot of nice land. I know pointers like to have room to run and run and run ALL year so if you live in town this may not be a good choice.

I would love to do something like that this fall! Don't worry about the birds... they are just a bonus:)

I just read the new thread about some of you guys getting together at the game fair and I was thinking about going so maybe I'll swing by and meet all your experienced UPHer's.

I have a French Brittany and could not be happier. He is a great pointer and a great family dog too. He has some great drive and also is lovable in the house. He has a lot of energy in the field and was fairly easy to train. He always seems like he is trying to please me. He is a short hair and is great around the house. He does not shed which was a plus with my wife. I already know that I will be getting another one when this one gets a little older. (mine is only a little over a yr old)

George has hit the nail on the head, I feel the same way he does. Only I have had Brits for over 40 years...........Bob

Back