Suggestions on a lighter gun

TGM

I like my Bennelli SBE 12ga but I've now hit 70 and have back issues. It is time for a lighter gun. I want a semi-auto, reliability and availability (both gun and ammo). I'm thinking a Bennelli Ethos 20ga/26" barrel. I'm not a gun guru, any suggestions? (I'm in MN).

Franchi Affinity in 20ga will save you some cash and very reliable. I combine it with Fiochi Golden Pheasant number 5's and it works great. I felt like my shooting got better when I switched to the 20ga five years ago.

How about the Ultralight? If you've had a good experience with the SBE, why not stick with Benelli. Best way to figure this out might be to go to a store and hold a bunch of them in your own hands.

I use a Montrelfelto and its pretty light. Probably very similar to your SBE.

I like my Bennelli SBE 12ga but I've now hit 70 and have back issues. It is time for a lighter gun. I want a semi-auto, reliability and availability (both gun and ammo). I'm thinking a Bennelli Ethos 20ga/26" barrel. I'm not a gun guru, any suggestions? (I'm in MN).
If you like your Benelli I would consider either the Ethos or Ultralight. Either of these in 12 ga. would be lighter than your SBE. And as Munster suggested, a new Browning A5 SweetSixteen at roughly 5.75 lb. would be a great option and give you a little more power than a 20. I've been shooting 16's for almost 20 years and love my new A5 SweetSixteen. It's a dream to carry.

Thanks. I've done searches on everything mentioned. I'll try to get my hands on some. Can't find a 26" A5 Sweet Sixteen locally.

Are 2-3/4" 16ga lead and steel shells difficult to find? Didn't see too much around here.

I've hunted with the new A5 Sweet 16 for 2 years now and am heading into Year #3. Mine weighs just shy of 6 lbs. This year I'll be shooting Boss #5 non toxic shells but in past years I've just used Remington Express (yeelow/green box) #5's or 6's and they've worked fine. Igot the Boss shells as a gift so feel compelled to try them. Lots of power and lightweight to carry in the Sweet. I did buy an SBE 3in 20 gauge that weighs a little less than the A5, and I may try it on occasion. Though the SBE can chamber 3" shells, I've never used a 3" mag on pheasants.

Franchi Affinity in 20ga will save you some cash and very reliable. I combine it with Fiochi Golden Pheasant number 5's and it works great. I felt like my shooting got better when I switched to the 20ga five years ago.
Exactly what I use. Works well for me. Light, absorbs recoil, very adjustable.

I won a Franchi 20 ga auto and sold it years ago. It was so light it actually felt like a long pistol. Check them out before buying anything. If u are thinking of a 26" barrel, look at Beretta 20 ga. Sorry u want a semi.

I can't help you much as I haven't owned an auto for some time, but Birdman2 is dead on at least on the older Franchi's 48's. I had one for a short time. It was too light, balance was way off for me. Your size has a great deal to do with it also. I love a 5.5 lb gun.(no 3'' mags) My buddy who is 6 ft and 220 can't shoot them. I suspect they are the same as the 48's were for me. different strokes for different folks but I would suggest at least a 6lb gun if you're going to shoot any 3' mags. If you do go lighter than that a 28'' barrel might help with the balance and follow through. Good luck!!

Thanks. I've done searches on everything mentioned. I'll try to get my hands on some. Can't find a 26" A5 Sweet Sixteen locally.

Are 2-3/4" 16ga lead and steel shells difficult to find? Didn't see too much around here.
Right now on Gunbroker there are a fair amount of 2 3/4 lead available- Federal Wing Shock for 229 a flat plus tax and shipping. I also have some steel loads that I am willing to part with if you are interested.

I shoot a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga w/a 24" barrel, fiocchi Golden pheasant 6 shot. Lightweight, reliable plus I just shoot it good. Works for me.. I have others to choose from but always resort to the Benelli. First bought it to ruff grouse hunt and liked be it so much it's now my go to upland bird gun.

Franchi Affinity 20 ga is a sweet gun I gave mine to my grand daughter for pheasant hunting and she loves it. I replaced it with the Browning A5 Sweet 16 which is a dream to carry and shoot also. The ammo for the 16 gauge was not hard to find. I did pick up a case off Gunbroker, but I also bought over a case locally from a local gun shop.

Thanks for all the suggestions! There are some excellent choices and I’m pleasantly surprised at availability. Looking forward to fall to put in service.

Light 12 gauge- Benelli Montefeltro
Light 20 gauge- Benelli Montefeltro
Light 16 gauge- Browning’s latest model Sweet 16

If I’m going to hunt waterfowl, I will take one of the Benelli’s because the price of 16 gauge non-toxic shells right now is completely laughable and cost prohibitive. If I’m hunting upland birds, I’m reaching for that Sweet 16 which comes in under 6 pounds. I feel like I could throw the gun at em and hit ‘em if I missed with all three shots, but that gun is a shooter. If I could find non-toxic 16 gauge shells I wouldn’t shoot another gun.

Thanks for all the suggestions! There are some excellent choices and I’m pleasantly surprised at availability. Looking forward to fall to put in service.
Best place to buy a gun. Free shipping and no sales tax.

I've been looking for a 12 Ultra Light for 9 months now and finally picked it up yesterday. Scheels got two in and I had to rush an hour to get there. Looked online a couple hours later and they weren't available. Love the way this thing shoulders.

Back