Style?

TEX-O-BOB

Naa, not much...:cool:

zebpoint2_zpsec5bc3fb.jpg

By the way, what it it about the misconception that a dog has to be standing on his tip-toes with a 12 O'Clock tail and his nose pointing at the clouds to have style? I dont get it... :confused: What say you all?

he definately has some style i have a dog that shoves her nose and body to the ground when she points and the other one points with a high head both are stylish in my opinion but i favor the the lower pointing dog

Looks to me he, has his own, style and I'm ok with that. He is working the bird in rather thin cover and is holding that bird. Can't ask for more. The end justifies the means.:thumbsup:

The different breeds have different styles.
Just like to see a dog that is intense and focused.
I like to see dogs will long tails with higher tails. But 12 oclock is not my favorite.

I like it!! Very intense.

Clock positions don't mean jack to me – I've never attempted to change one. I have a pointer at the moment that checks in at about 9:20, and that suits me fine. My setter's is much higher, and that's fine, too.

It's all about intensity!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that point. I'd take it any day.

Every dog's style seems to be a little different even in the same breed. I agree that it's more about intensity. With my Brittany sometimes it's just the way she physically is standing when she locks uup. Sometimes she tall with a 12 o'clock tail and other times she is lower to the ground. Like in the photo below. But as long as she is steady and shows intensity I'm good.

Aug2012001.jpg

Beautiful Point!! I love the intensity!!!

Here is Beau

http://youtu.be/Ry38taEAHKI

I dont mind what the dog looks like as long as it is intense, you get a different point for each bird.

Naa, not much...:cool:

zebpoint2_zpsec5bc3fb.jpg

By the way, what it it about the misconception that a dog has to be standing on his tip-toes with a 12 O'Clock tail and his nose pointing at the clouds to have style? I dont get it... :confused: What say you all?

A dog that points in the same pose every time is displaying robotic tendencies in my opinion even if they are posing in the most fashionable way for that time period.

George Bird Evans wrote about this in a chapter from Troubles With Bird Dogs, entitled "Style and the Positive Point".

I have never had a dog that "assumed the position" when pointing, every point was unique and I hope it stays that way.

Exactly. See, this is the way I like to see a dog point. No matter the situation, when the dog hits the scent cone, it points. Which to me means it stops dead in it's tracks in what ever stance/ posture it happens to be in at the time. I also like a dog that intensifies after the initial point, meaning his muscles tighten, his lip curls, eyes widen and focus on a spot in the brush, his tail is so tight it quivers, etc. When Zeb hit this point he was coming down a steep hill hunting chukars. His nose hit the scent cone like a wall and he skidded to a stop. The bird, a single, was tucked in just under that twisted branch three feet in front of his face. It's stuff like this that makes it all worthwhile!

Exactly. See, this is the way I like to see a dog point. No matter the situation, when the dog hits the scent cone, it points. Which to me means it stops dead in it's tracks in what ever stance/ posture it happens to be in at the time. I also like a dog that intensifies after the initial point, meaning his muscles tighten, his lip curls, eyes widen and focus on a spot in the brush, his tail is so tight it quivers, etc. When Zeb hit this point he was coming down a steep hill hunting chukars. His nose hit the scent cone like a wall and he skidded to a stop. The bird, a single, was tucked in just under that twisted branch three feet in front of his face. It's stuff like this that makes it all worthwhile!

Yes sir, that's what makes it all worthwhile for me as well. Intensity is much more important to me than posture, all though a high tail will sometimes help me spot a dog in tall cover. My dogs may point like the National Champion on the cover of American Field or in the shape of a pretzel but as long as they are intense I will continue to be amazed and continue walking in to flush the bird uttering the same prayer under my breath, "Dear Lord please don't let me ruin this for my dog."

I love that picture! The hell with perceived style, tail, whatever. To my taste that is one stylish point. Intense. Nothing exists in this world for that dog right now except for that bird scent filling his nose. Great stuff! My first thought was that the bird was close. I've had people tell me to stroke my dogs tail to get him to raise it higher. The hell with that. Our setters are almost never high tail holding dogs. But a lot of times I can read them as to whether it's a grouse or woodcock by their posture. Also, I think it's so cool to see a dog lock up mid-stride and into whatever position he is in when he hits the body scent.

I gotta say my favorite point is by far the goofy one when the dog slams on the brakes from a dead run in a crazy body position because they just hit that scent... just awesome

I love that picture! The hell with perceived style, tail, whatever. To my taste that is one stylish point. Intense. Nothing exists in this world for that dog right now except for that bird scent filling his nose. Great stuff! My first thought was that the bird was close. I've had people tell me to stroke my dogs tail to get him to raise it higher. The hell with that. Our setters are almost never high tail holding dogs. But a lot of times I can read them as to whether it's a grouse or woodcock by their posture. Also, I think it's so cool to see a dog lock up mid-stride and into whatever position he is in when he hits the body scent.

My setters are all from field trial bloodlines, so most of the time they point with a high tail. Years ago my Dad had a setter from the Llewellin bloodlines, most of the time she pointed with a horizontal tail. One of my friend's best dogs will point with a low (less than 90 degrees) tail when he first catches sent and as he gets more scent his tail will rise to around 90 degrees. As for intensity I was hunting a creek bottom with my oldest setter and she was coming up the bank after getting a drink and slammed into a point. Head and tail high, I could see her nostril flaring when she would draw in the scent with every breath, but the problem was the bank was too steep for her to maintain that position but rather than break point she started sliding head and tail high but with a look of panic in her eyes. I got to her as quick as I could and flushed a single and killed it but the sight of her sliding down the bank like a statue is a point I will never forget.

What an awesome story guy! I can just picture the look in her eyes as she slid down the bank...:eek:

Back