Strap Vest suggestions <$100

btomlin

I'm wondering if there is a good strap vest for under $100. I have went back through the pages to 2010 and see everyone really likes the wing works vest. Well....I don't need a $235 vest for my excursions. Looks like a lot of them are set up for guys that leave the truck at shooting time and get back to the truck at end of shooting time and need to pack a lot of stuff. I really just need room for a handfull of shells and be able to carry a few birds. I currenly am using a cabelas 'traditional vest' or whatever they call it. I just thought I might like to try a strap vest, but my research isn't really giving me many options.

I like khaki/blaze, maybe a water bottle holder, Sternum strap(not sure how important, but don't want to fight straps falling off shoulders), blood proof game bag that is easily accessible, and pockets that would hold a set of gloves and have interior shell loops.

Is there such a creature???

For ten bucks more you can get a Filson tin cloth strap vest. None better IMHO.

Take a look at the Browning Bird'n Lite strap vest. Little bit more expensive (Around $120) than you were looking for but I know several people that have this vest and like them. Probably what I will get when the time comes to get a new vest.

I have the browning bird n lite. Got it as part of a pheasants forever fundraiser. I have no complaints about it. However I rarely use it anymore. Since I pretty much never have to carry more than 2 pheasant in one field anymore I switched to a cabelas bird belt. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...Ntt=Bird+bag&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I have 2 of them now and use them more than any other shell holder I have.

I also have a strap vest that my dad made in home economics when he was in school. It's kind of fun to break that out every once in a while.

david0311

Take a look at the Browning Bird'n Lite strap vest. Little bit more expensive (Around $120) than you were looking for but I know several people that have this vest and like them. Probably what I will get when the time comes to get a new vest.

X-2 Great warm weather vest--

I'm pleased with my PF Bird'N Lite. Storage was too limited in the Filson, although I use it on training outings. Filsons DO last.

I have a Mother strap vest. Its OK. I think theyre out of business now. Tenzing may be a good alternative. Not sure if they are in your budget.
How about Badlands Upland Vest?

Do your homework to see what fits you best.

I used a Filson strap vest for about 10 years and liked it, but gave it away after using a Bird 'n Lite for a couple years. Mine's the Pella version, got it maybe 7 years ago for around $60 on post-season sale at a Cabelas store -- before they started carrying the Browning version. It puts the weight on your hips, side straps let you adjust the load balance when you're carrying a limit, ample front pockets for shells and sundries, water bottle pockets, and a smaller back pocket inside a larger one is perfect for a Camelback hydration pouch to carry more water for dogs. And I appreciate the cinch straps on the back for layers of clothes no longer needed when you start to warm up on a day that starts cold. Here's one like mine for well under $100 that looks like a closeout price. The second link to the newer Pella's version sells for $160 at the same retailer.

http://www.ruggedclothing.com/store-products-240-Bird’n-Lite®-Upland-Strap-Vest_40156352.html

http://www.pellaproducts.com/show_product/?product_id=101

Last edited:
Are most of you talking about the Filson Mesh vest?? How does the mesh hold up?

Mine is not mesh. Filson offers the strap vest in mesh and non-mesh. Nice thing about the Filson is you can thread the belt through the belt buckle holding up your pants and then buckle the vest belt. That way no matter how many birds or how much water or other stuff you've stashed in the game bag, the vest does not pull down in back and up in front.

Last edited:
I've got a WingWorks vest and it's worth every penny. It's got everything you need and it's built to last. My advice is to save your money and invest in a WW vest.

Back