Stihl Chainsaw experience?

Toad

I'm so fed up with my Jonsered chainsaw, I am ready to take a sledge to it! :mad: For the price paid, the amount it is used, and the company's claims of quality, it should have lasted a lifetime. For the life of the saw, it has had a nagging problem of the muffler falling off during normal use. If you have one from the same era, you know what I am talking about. :laugh: Sometimes you lose the 3-1/2" metric screws when they rattle out in the woods, and sometimes the flimsy pieces of S snap off and leave the threads buried in motor...:mad: This time there isn't enough of the screw exposed to remove it easily, so I'm stuck drilling it out...

As I deal with the problem of drilling out the broken bolt and tapping it for a more substantial one, I have been daydreaming of a chainsaw that spends more time cutting wood than it does on my workbench.

Stihl has a good reputation in the area, but just wondering if you guys have any experience with them you would be willing to share. I was looking at the MS 291, since it should be similar in weight and power to the Jonsered I have now. Do you like your stihl saws, and have you had any problems with them?

Other than the muffler thing, the Jonsered has been great, but it's kind of a big problem. :laugh:

I've used Stihl products, including chainsaws for years so obviously I'm a fan. Take care of them & they take care of you - drain the fuel & chain oil when done & run them dry, etc.

I've had quite a bit of still equipment saws and concrete saws and trimmers and such. And the newer saws dont start as easy as the older ones did. Maybe it's worked out by now. I think it was changes made to keep up with emissions regs.

Had 3.5 hp 20" Stihl that was excellent.

I've had quite a bit of still equipment saws and concrete saws and trimmers and such. And the newer saws dont start as easy as the older ones did. Maybe it's worked out by now. I think it was changes made to keep up with emissions regs.

Gosh, I hope they worked it out. A tough starting cheap-o saw with a finnicky carb was the reason I ever upgraded to the Jonsered. It always fires on the first pull, and if you shut off the choke fast enough it will keep going without a second pull. I would hate to go back to a rough runner.

I have two Stihl chainsaws plus a Stihl weedwhacker. My old 031AV is 30+ years old and still running strong. All have been excellent with proper maintenance. Use Rec gas in everything.

NB

My Jonsenerd is the best "farm duty" saw I have ever been around. I have had great luck with Stihl too but the ones I used all were about 50% heavier than the Jonsenred with the same amount of power. That gets old quick.

I've been using Stihl equipment for 23 years at work. I currently have 4 chainsaws of different sizes, a pole saw, and a weed eater. I'm not the best at taking care of them, but have had few problems. When I do, it is usually old fuel.

We used a lot of Stihl machines at Tallgrass Restoration. With a little daily maintenance/clean up they kept up just fine.

The only issue we had (when I was there) was with a Stihl Tri-blade. I broke the cable on it, but to be fair I was cutting through a large section of sweet-clover in late September. The stems of those things can get very hard plus the plants were dense. Other than that, all good.:)

Nick

I bought a used stihl weedeater. The guy left old gas in it over winter, and he thought he busted it. A put a $15 new carb in it (easy peasy) and it runs like a champ.

Stihl saws are very good as are husqvarna, I have used both in work and at home. My home saw is a husqvarna and I usually cut 10 logger cords a year and have owned it for 10 plus years with no issues other than routine maintenance. Work saws are stihls and they have sways started when we have needed them, usually on a fire they have been in service for years. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either brand.

My only beef with Husqvarna is I believe they made my Jonsered.

I really hope drilling and retapping for bigger bolts will solve my muffler issues. I cut and split maybe 1-2 cords of firewood a year, but with two wooded properties I am constantly using the saw to keep trails passable and keep the cedar trees under control.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys. Next time my old saw starts acting up, I am going straight to my Stihl dealer with confidence.
:thumbsup:

Had a buddy that owned a tree trimming company and all he used was Stihl chainsaws. After talking to him if I ever needed a saw that's what I would go for.

I have a MS 250 and MS 390 both are great saws. I bought both off Craigslist for much less than new (amazing number of people buy a new saw and use if for one season). I have cut 15 cords of wood with the two in the last 2 years, no issues. If you want more power Google, muffler mods for whatever saw you decide to buy. The new saws have to meet emission standards but if you increase the air flow with more muffler capacity you then just have to retune the carb. My 250 with a muffler mod is much closer in power to the 390 without one than I would have thought possible.

I always run high octane, non-ethanol gas and have never drained the tank. I wouldn't buy any other saw. :cheers:

I bought a Stihl 271 the other weekend, and chose a 16" bar with it. I've run a few tanks through it and so far I'm very happy with the purchase. Starts easy, plenty of power, and feels good in my hands.

Looks like it will blast through the hackberry, elm, maple, and cedars I generally have to clean up after a storm, plus whatever I decide I would like for firewood. Feels like a winner!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back