State upland forecast is out

duckn66

I noticed the upland forecast for NE is on the website. Doesn't sound to promising. Quail numbers said to be better.

I was really only interested in the grouse forecast and it really doesn't give much information on them.

wear i hunted turkeys in NE this past spring i had never herd so many bob white quail i herd them at 2-3 different WMAs about 30 miles apart i was amazed & thought about heading back this fall!!! there was pheasants all over also i walked up on 2-3 roosters daily crowing all in different areas again i was amazed that there was so much wildlife in the area turkey all over also!!!

we would kick up quail on every walk out to go hunt it was cool to hear all the mails whistling bob white each morning...

they still are around seen sharptails not very far away also the area was game rich to say the least!!!

Of course PF is going to say the SW corner of Nebraska is the place to go this year.....that part of he state has many walk in properties and 2 large WMA's.

Look Campbell.....you're new here.....so I'll cut you a bit of slack......

Those reports are usually biased and only give a snapshot of the actual conditions, habitat, and bird numbers.

As the season draws near......do yourself a favor and hit the back roads and do some scouting and talk to the local landowners in a given area. They know the real score and have boots on the ground daily.

I'm 44 years old and live way down in Kentucky, however I have many friends and family across Kansas & Nebraska who either farm, hunt or travel the back roads for work.

I base my yearly reports from their observations....and from my own travels across the prairie each year.

Fact: bird numbers are near record lows across the prairie due to several factors!

1. Several years of severe drought.
2. habitat loss from extensive farming due to high grain prices.....ethanol and such.
3. Reduction in new CRP contracts......
4. other weather events like flooding during peak nesting and winter blizzards.

Here's my theory. I like the fresh air and the exercise, I like to see the familiar territory, in my walks, I remember this ditch or that plum thicket where birds were harvested. If my futile walks are long with out success, I believe that I need better dogs and a new gun!. :cheers:

The PF forecast for WA state isn't out yet. They're still looking for the pheasant . . .

The PF forecast for WA state isn't out yet. They're still looking for the pheasant . . .

I have to laugh at PF....they cant make a prediction without a state game and fish survey...ie. Kansas is late issuing their forecast, so what good is PF? simply a re hash of each states game and fish report.

I'm a lot like OLDANDNEW. I don't hunt to shoot pheasants really, I hunt for the exercise and to see the dogs work. Shooting a rooster is just a bonus.
I walked 26 miles between roosters last year (by my Garmin Astro). Someone that is just out there to kill something wouldn't do that.
The worst thing about that was the dogs not really getting to be into birds. I had a pup and she went for a couple weeks of not even seeing a hen. It picked up later in the season.
I will be out there, chasing the dogs whether I shoot anything or not.

AM

Agree never come home disappointed I always at least get exercise. Now days pheasants are a bonus, really surprises the crap out of you when a rooster does flush. Hopefully in the future we can get the farmers to see the light and they wont tear out all the vegetation!:)

Back