St Louis are roosters

GOSKERS

Yes I am just looking to find some hunting around the St Louis area I live in Wentzville. I grew up hunting pheasants a quail in Nebraska. I would love to find some good hunting down here can any one help. I was thinkin of going to Whiteside for some quail. Any imputs would be great thanks

There are pheasants in St Charles County, the parts that aren't housing subdivisions. I would travel NW of you toward Macon, and west, should be a few birds around that area. Overall picture is poor everywhere, but NE area of the State is supposedly better. Illinois in the Central section from Jacksonville over to Champagne used to be pretty decent for pheasants and quail.

goskers,
I use to live in mehlville, mo. and still have family in the area, my cousin goes to the NW corner close to Iowa and kills a few there other than that I don't know what to tell you. Maybe someone on here can give you a better report.

well i live 16 miles west of you, i hunt ca around here and up north been three times found 2 covies, whiteside is good gets a lot of pressure, do you have dogs?

i go to whetstone, another place with a lot of pressure, of course there are not to many bird hunters, i went to a 2000ac ca area sat only one other hunter he found one covey me none a placae i used to find anywhere from 2 - 6 covies but the ca dept decided that wasn't good enough and they fixed it up for quail now zipppppo wished they woould have left it alone.

I have a weim. Shes pretty good but its been about 2 yrs since she has been on birds. Went to Whiteside this morning got a small cover of about 5 up missed 2 shots then never got them back up went of a tree line so never saw where they landed. I was on the north side. Didnt see any other bird hunters alot of rabbit hunter. So what r the names of the other CA areas called. Thanks for all the post.

Goosker,

I hunted Whiteside last week and kicked up a big covey. I have a Brittany pup.
I sent you a message on another forum to see if you wanted to get out sometime. I have an old hunting buddy thats wants to get out to the field and he usually brings his son and maybe a friend. I like to get as many as possible out to the field to cover as much ground as possible to see if there are actually that many birds in the area. I really don't care much about shooting, just want the dog to figure it out.
Email me if you want to try to get out. jimmy_lowery@hotmail.com Thanks,

I heard discussion by MDC, and read a couple of short articles somewhere, that MDC, and forest service based out of Rolla, were actively planting forb and legume mixes on some forest service land to create habitat. A lot of that area is close to St Louis, might be worth a couple of calls, and some recon. No pheasants there but maybe quail. Indicated they were running some population survey to see if it works, better survey is hunter with dog and gun!

Back