Springers vs. Cockers

T

tOlzon

I'm in the process of researching what my next hunting dog will be, and I think I've settled on a spaniel (although I keep thinking a pointer would be fun...so many choices!). I'm interested to hear from people who have hunted with both ESS and ECS.

Cocker guys claim that their dogs can do anything a Springer can do, and some even say that they have greater endurance.

Springer guys say that the Cockers "just aren't the same" and can't cover as much ground.

Anyone have any real-life experience to share? I'm working on setting up some times to see both breeds at work, but would like to hear from others as well.

I've had several Springers and a hunting buddy has has a few field Cockers. There are excellent gun dogs in each breed. I'd probably give the nod to the Springer as it is a larger dog and can handle heavy cover better.

You mentioned you might also like a pointing dog. You might want to consider a Brittany. It's a pointing spaniel. After several Springer's and a Lab I got my first Brittany 13 years ago. I love 'em. Could never go back to a non-pointing dog again. But all my hunting is upland birds. A Springer would do better if you hunt ducks at all.

Which ever breed you decide on do your research and don't be afraid to spend a little money on a pup. Check out the breeder, the parents and the pedigree. I would suggest getting a pup from a reputable breeder rather than from some guy down the street that decided to breed his dog. There are wide variances in temperament within the breeds so watch for that. Example: My Brittany's are very mellow yet my step-son has two Brittany's that are extremely hyper.

Here is another web site that you can look at. Lots of good info on hunting dogs. http://versatiledogs.com/

Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask. I'm sure you will get lots of advice. Just keep an open mind.

Back