Spring is a coming

PHEZZYBOY FROID

And those Red headed Roosters thoughts are beginning to think of love.

Here is to a GREAT productive spring.

I know....in some parts of the country..winter in hanging in there but I just hope that spring makes it way here very soon

This Winter has been as good as last year was bad, what a difference.
Hens are in good shape. Hope when Spring comes it stays. Not good to have early great weather then have it turn again while hens are incubating or with young broods.
Here's to a GREAT and productive Spring.:cheers:

I saw the first flock of migrating Sandhill Cranes today, heading North. Spring is definitely here in Central Calif. with fruit trees in bloom but when I look at the web cams at Fort Peck, Glendive, and Plentywood it's still cold there. It's on its way though.
My estimate of April 30 for ice out at Fort Peck and Glendive is definitely shaky but there's still cold weather left.

Last edited:
Well, I look at the Glendive webcam and there's no ice. I look at the Plentywood webcam and there's no snow. I predicted 30 April for ice out at Glendive but it came March 12. I hope there's some moisture in the spring or this could be worse than a bad snow year.

This early warmup is good only if we get precipitation with it. Wildfire warnings already!
Rivers are open in my area, lake ice is going fast.. Average for lake ice out in NC MN is April 20th.

I'm guessing March 20 for most lakes and April 7th Northern Minnnesota.

The big deep lakes are the last to freeze and last to open.
Yeah you are purty darn close.:)

Winter Storm warning Central and Eastern MT today and night.:eek:

Never fear, ground is thawed, birds are fat, late March sun will be back tomorrow. Birds aren't egg laying. Moisture is good for new vegetation growth.:thumbsup:

Now that's what I'm talking about

Here is hoping that all the birds (hens especially) can raise some good broods.
It is always those mid spring rains and frost's that seem to do a lot of damage.
in a few months....NEST HENNYS" NEST and fill up those grasslands.

Winter Storm warning Central and Eastern MT today and night.:eek:

Never fear, ground is thawed, birds are fat, late March sun will be back tomorrow. Birds aren't egg laying. Moisture is good for new vegetation growth.:thumbsup:

I have been traveling a few areas of NE Montana in the last couple of weeks and I am very encouraged with what I am seeing and not seeing..i.e.....SNOW! I have been in Hinsdale area and spoken to good friends there who say they were surprised at the number of pheasents on their Rock Creek fields. I was also in Medicine Lake and Froid a couple of times the last few weeks and enjoyed watching the birds strut around in my friends stubble fields! Hopefully with some timely rains and moderate temps this spring will not only benifit the birds, but the farmer-rancher also!

Husker, I know that Rock Creek drainage well. Some of the thickest tangle anywhere out there.:thumbsup: Pheasants do well even in the worst of Winters.
Fire weather warnings again in areas of central and Eastern MT.
Did they get much snow from the last winter storm forecast?
Yeah I'm looking forward to bird hunting MT, like always I'll be checking things out in Sept.

I will do my best

To make sure that the Cold North Winds from Canada....stay North....way North.
As for my neck of the woods. I am seeing more pairs of huns than in the past couple of years.....looks like they weathered the winter all right, hope they nest well.....Man, do I love hunting Huns

Phezzy, That's good to hear, :thumbsup: Huns are great sport.:)

Winter weather advisory for NE MT. Snow, blowing and windchill.
Don't know? I really doubt any nesting going on.

The spring snow was over in Bozeman by this morning, got app. 6 inches, and by afternoon, most was melted. How was the NE part of Montana as far as depth, and is the storm now done/

Hi getting scattered rains in south western Montana. How has the rainfall been in the plentywood area the last month or so, any reports of spring is shaping up?

Eastern MT has been dry and windy, wildfire conditions. This whole North Country had April weather in March and now were having March type weather in April :confused: Snow and blizzard conditions. Rain to, and the moisture is a good thing. Birds are probably getting near nesting so, let's hope for some good conditions.:cheers:

Miserable weekend for nesting hens, but the outlook is much brighter. Been talking to THE MAN in Sheridan county......seeing lots of birds....I dont want to wish the rain away, just hoping temps come up a little from this weekend and the wind slows to a quiet roar!

Back