sport dog gps collars

gsp4life

does anyone have a review on the new sport dog/ e collars? i was thinking about getting a garmin gps for the dogs now i seen sport dog came out with a new one.

EEK please let us know. I want to purchase one for my GSP. I too was going to buy the Garmin Astro until I saw Sportdog's in the latest GunDog Magazine.

Hmmm. I have been thinking about one of these systems and I like my sport dog e collar. I don't see in the review that it has maps in the gps like the garmin. Might not be a big deal bird hunting but the Garmin would allow you to use the gps unit alone with a topo map in the back ground while hiking or elk hunting.

Just read Steves lenghy review, it does not have maps on it, my dog hunts at about 60 yards mostly so i think i will still get one, i am always looking for him in the high sage.

EEK,

Can you provide any feed back on the SportDOG TEK 1.0 LT Series GPS
Training Collar?

In my opinion (which in most situations people will do the exact opposite) I would go with the garmin, I haven't had very good luck with sport dog e collars and usually the first ones that come out don't work very well. The new Dc 40 collars were made so you could slip your e collar on to the tracking collar. This is why Garmin went from the DC 30 to the DC40. I guess I don't have a lot of faith in combo pack e collar and tracking collar. Especially the first one to come out.

what would be real interesting-
is to have a fella with a decent running pointing dog with the Garmin
and the other fella to have a decent running pointing dog with the Sportdog

full day of hunting-

I have the origianal 220 with 3 DC20 collars- have yet to find fault with the system

would surely like to see the new Sportdog with 3 collars in the field with my 3 with the old Garmins-

would be interesting- mine are 3 years old- think they work perfectly-
wouldn't sell mine off for the new- but- if this new Sportdog is better I might be interested when and if mine ever fail

I chickened out and got the 1825 instead, it works great but i an still looking for my dog in high cover, so now i will probably have to get the tec 1.0 and eat the 1825. I never said i learned the easy way.

I have an 1825 & am pleased with it.

what would be real interesting-
is to have a fella with a decent running pointing dog with the Garmin
and the other fella to have a decent running pointing dog with the Sportdog

full day of hunting-

I have the origianal 220 with 3 DC20 collars- have yet to find fault with the system

would surely like to see the new Sportdog with 3 collars in the field with my 3 with the old Garmins-

would be interesting- mine are 3 years old- think they work perfectly-
wouldn't sell mine off for the new- but- if this new Sportdog is better I might be interested when and if mine ever fail

I will let you know after the 25th of Oct. I just bought the sportdog 3 collar GPS and E trainer for my dogs.

great- you can give a valued opinion

I will try and make it simple.
I like the my Sportdog Tek 1.0. I bought a 3 collar system on EBay through Marvin Gardens.
OK make sure you have the declation set and the compass set to where you are hunting it is a must or it will not be accurate.
Setting it up took some time but I got it. It helped in learning the system. The directions are great.
Switching from shock to vibrate took some doing but I got that too.
The vibrate is laking I am trying to retrain the dogs with that it is light vibrate and can't be ajusted. I might try the tone.
Tracking is great I had to use it to find a dog it worked if you don't get excited on trying to find a lost dog. when you see the yards keep changing you get a sinking feeling.
I would have spent the day looking for her but I could see she circled around back to the truck. She was standing there.
Screen is white with different colors for the dogs. Don't set up a dog with a light color you will not see it in the sun. It doesn't matter to me to see roads or rivers I just want to get to a high point to see if I can see my dog.
When you pull it out of your pocket for tracking only it will take a few seconds for it to be right, hold it upright. This is true also when putting on the collar for the first time.
I also had a dog on point and found the dogt because it turns to a circle when on point ...nice!
This is the first time I felt comfortable hunting 2 of my dogs by myself at the same time in tall grass. I loved it. Last year I hunted only 1 dog at a time having 3 dogs it wasn't fun for the dogs. Now they all get alot time hunting.
I am dissapointed in the vibrate mode.
But all in all after a 7 day hunting trip I am very satisfied with it. I am glad I spent the money.
Battery life is great on both the collars and handheld. Only 2 hours for a complete charge.

If anyone has any questions put it here.
Another trip is coming up.

2nd trip

Ok everything went well this trip.
I did start using the tone for the dogs and not the shock. A couple of times and now they listen to the tone it works great. Now the tone is just that the dog can hear it but you can't unless you are about 2 feet from the dog. It is not like a loud tone at all.
You can set the hand held to tone and vibrate if you want to know if your dog is on point. That's nice when you can't see your dog.
I shot a rooster and Tess took off after it and ran by where it went down so I went over to find it and it was gone and so was Tess, I looked at my sportgog to see where she was and she was 25 yrds off to my left running around and I thought what the %#** why is she over there.
Then she went on point according to my sportdog so I headed towards her and then on my sportdog I see she had left her point and here she comes bringing the pheasant I had shot.... AGAIN the dog is smarter than me!

On the second to the last day one collar went down on the GPS side I called in and they emailed me a form that I inclosed in a box(I was still in ND) and went to the Post Office and mailed it to them. A week later I have a brand new one. Great service. I did buy 3 for my 3 dogs so I just moved 1 back and forth from one dog to another. I did hunt 2 dogs together for the first time in years
because of these collars.
If you want to know where your dogs are in relation to where your are at all times then this is the deal.
You can put your start point in which I find useful just incase your dog gets lost and heads back to the truck on it's own.
This is a great unit. I don't need to see my trail or know the terrian I am to busy hunting to need all that.( my 2 cents worth)
Going out again for a week soon more to follow.

Last edited:
Back