Spirit Lake area? any insight?

You might just do pretty good, you never know. Spring run is a pretty impressive area, but so are some of the other areas in Dickinson county. There are some smaller areas in eastern Dickinson county that are worth a look. There's thousands of acres in and around this area, kinda hard to explore all of them in just a few days though !

Place to stay

Ditto that on the Northland Inn! Tell Dave, Mark & Donnie from Maryland sent ya! We'll be there 1st week of December.

You might just do pretty good, you never know. Spring run is a pretty impressive area, but so are some of the other areas in Dickinson county. There are some smaller areas in eastern Dickinson county that are worth a look. There's thousands of acres in and around this area, kinda hard to explore all of them in just a few days though !

Yea, it looks like i could spend a whole week up there and not cover it all. I was actually studying some of the areas to the east of town. I don't mind getting of the beaten path at all. Was planning on getting up early Sat. and putting some miles on and doing some scouting for places that aren't on the maps.
Really appreciate the input!

Saw a lot of birds again today while walking out from duck hunting. Half tempted to hunt here since the dog constantly finds them walkin in and out of some areas, but I'll pass until later. Hopefully there's a few around. I'm sure you'll find birds in any of the areas you hunt. They're fairly thick for now.

Saw a lot of birds again today while walking out from duck hunting. Half tempted to hunt here since the dog constantly finds them walkin in and out of some areas, but I'll pass until later. Hopefully there's a few around. I'm sure you'll find birds in any of the areas you hunt. They're fairly thick for now.

Great to hear man! The pup did better than expected on opening day around here. So if there's birds, he'll find em. My confidence is growing! Thanks

Spirit Lake Area

I live there on W Lake Okoboji (about a mile and a half south of the Northland Inn at Vick's Corner). It was a better start than the past 3 years for sure. The advice on the eastern part of the county is good. Most small wet areas are bone dry and have been for weeks if not months. Good luck and be safe.

I live there on W Lake Okoboji (about a mile and a half south of the Northland Inn at Vick's Corner). It was a better start than the past 3 years for sure. The advice on the eastern part of the county is good. Most small wet areas are bone dry and have been for weeks if not months. Good luck and be safe.

Howdy neighbor...

You must be near Inner Lane north?

Overall the weekend went pretty well. The warm weather on Sat was pretty tough on the dogs so tried to stick to some easier cover. We hunted the whole day and saw at least 2 dozen birds if not more. We shot three, the first one was a runner, thought we lost it until my 8 mo old tracked it about 600 yds. it ended up being about 30 yds from the vehicles. fun part of the story is that I lost my pup for about 5 to 10 minutes in some tall grass. when i found him, he was sitting on his ass eating the tail feathers off the bird. HAHA. The other two we shot out of some wooded cover along the edges of a lake that actually had water in it. So the reports of other people finding more birds around water has proven true for me so far. Sunday the weather turned more favorable. it was windy and below 30 most of the day. the dogs were loving it. we hunted the hard cover all day and it paid off. We hunted with IALabs from this site and the team effort worked well. pushing cattails all day did wear my pup out though, i think he's still sleeping. lol! I think we might try to make it back up there at the end of the year again. lots of birds up there but they were flushing pretty wild and running like hell

thanks for hunting with my son and i :thumbsup:. i do wish sat. had been better but sun. went great! it was nice meeting and hunting with you and your friend. hopefully we can go again sometime. :cheers:

Back