Spirit Lake area? any insight?

Hey everyone! I'm thinking about heading up to the Spirit Lake area sometime in November to try to find some ring-necks. Last year we did SD and saw just as many roosters in NW Iowa as we did in SD. Did see tons of hens in SD, so the dogs got plenty of work, but I'm thinking I'll just save on the out of state license this year and stay in NW Iowa. Just looking at a map and I see a lot of public land in the Spirit Lake area. Anyone live and hunt in that area, or have any insight that would help a guy out. Also looking for a hotel that allows dogs.

Thanks!

I have hunted the area but spend most of my hunting time closer to Storm Lake and Cherokee. It helps to have family and places to hunt. You should not have to much trouble finding a place that allows dogs and there are a lot of large public areas. Good luck

Some good ground in that area. I would go later in the year when the sloughs are froze, I think there is some water up that way.

I think I am going to be doing the same thing later this fall/winter. Would love to get into some of those marshy areas after they freeze, with a little snow on the ground! I will probably be starting from scratch on hunting land too though.

Lots of state land to hunt. No need to wait for ice, because the sloughs that have water in them, are receded from the cover.

Northland Inn would be the place for you and your dogs..

Reddog - the abundance of huntable land is what has enticed me. Good info on Northland Inn.
CockerFan - I'm in eastern IA too - maybe we can work something out, where do you live?

I was down in the Okoboji/Spirit Lake area at the end of summer and notice all of the awesome public land in the area. I am an Minnesotan and was pretty jealous of the parcel right near okoboji in particular. It was a rainy day at the lake so I decided to go and walk then land myself just for fun and was impressed with the # of birds I saw. If i make a trip to Iowa this year for hunting it will be that area.

Guys save your time and money, no birds here in NW Iowa, specifically the Dickinson and emmet counties :)

Guys save your time and money, no birds here in NW Iowa, specifically the Dickinson and emmet counties :)

your just saying that to keep em to yourself;)

never the less, i'm gonna make the trip, if even just to get away for the weekend. looking at the 2nd weekend in Nov. Prolly just be myself and my 7 mo old Brit, so if anyone wants to join in on the fun, let me know!
Thanks! :cheers:

I can get you the name of the hotel we stayed at in that area if you need another name
let me know
Good people, dogs OK in room

i would be interested in a day trip. i'm sure we could meet somewhere. :cheers: oh and i wanted to say don't give up on s.d. it takes a couple trips to figure things out.

i would be interested in a day trip. i'm sure we could meet somewhere. :cheers: oh and i wanted to say don't give up on s.d. it takes a couple trips to figure things out.

Great, I just made my reservations for the 9th, 10th, and 11th of Nov. Staying at the Northland Inn, great rates. I'll send ya PM to figure out the details. Oh and I'm not giving up on SD, I just don't have much time off this fall, and figured I'd save my money for when I can make a proper trip out of it. If I didn't think staying in NW IA would be worth my time, I'd just pony up and go to SD. I just gotta shoot birds, I just gotta:)

Hey guys, things look pretty dismal for phez in Southwest Kansas.I saw my cousin from Hartley at a wedding last weekend. He said that he saw quite a few pheasant during harvest and invited me up for a shoot. I'm not asking for any directions as I will have plenty of private ground to hunt. But does anyone out there have any insight into the numbers in O'Brian Co.

Hey guys, things look pretty dismal for phez in Southwest Kansas.I saw my cousin from Hartley at a wedding last weekend. He said that he saw quite a few pheasant during harvest and invited me up for a shoot. I'm not asking for any directions as I will have plenty of private ground to hunt. But does anyone out there have any insight into the numbers in O'Brian Co.

I have friends that farm there also. I think you will be surprised at how many birds there are in Obrien and Osceola county. Theres just not much public.. If I had my druthers whether to hunt private in Obrien or public in Dickinson, I know where I would be....

---Used to live down in good ole SL. Plenty of places to hunt and stay. Around the lakes area itself, gets hit pretty hard because the proximity of the areas and to the town itself. If you venture out a few miles and your able to catch fields that are less likely to be ran daily.

Talk to a few locals at the smaller bars you might find a few places to hunt.

Was just there last weekend, pretty good numbers in the areas I was hunting ducks. I'd venture to say that 1/2 those birds will be dead by the end of Saturday and/or Sunday. I'd also like to make it upfor some upland hunting, but I know it's going to be a madhouse come Saturday morning. I'd probably have to agree with getting away from town a bit.

Was just there last weekend, pretty good numbers in the areas I was hunting ducks. I'd venture to say that 1/2 those birds will be dead by the end of Saturday and/or Sunday. I'd also like to make it upfor some upland hunting, but I know it's going to be a madhouse come Saturday morning. I'd probably have to agree with getting away from town a bit.

I wouldn't disagree with you on it being a madhouse this weekend. That's kind of why I wanted to wait a little later in the season. let all the fuss settle down some. Thanks for the input though

your just saying that to keep em to yourself;)

never the less, i'm gonna make the trip, if even just to get away for the weekend. looking at the 2nd weekend in Nov. Prolly just be myself and my 7 mo old Brit, so if anyone wants to join in on the fun, let me know!
Thanks! :cheers:

Well, I won't lie to you, I am trying to save as many roosters for myself as I can.

This really is the best place in Ia to pheasant hunt, but things have really been on the decline since '05. My good friend took his boy out for the youth weekend, he said hee saw quite a few birds. At any rate, I'm cuatiously optomistic, things will probably change after the first few weekends.

Good luck !

Well, I won't lie to you, I am trying to save as many roosters for myself as I can.

This really is the best place in Ia to pheasant hunt, but things have really been on the decline since '05. My good friend took his boy out for the youth weekend, he said hee saw quite a few birds. At any rate, I'm cuatiously optomistic, things will probably change after the first few weekends.

Good luck !

Thanks for the wishes of luck, and believe you me, I'm not expecting too much. It does suck that we have had such a decline and my part of the state is about as bad as any. I run my pup at a park that doesn't allow hunting and there are a handful of birds out there. At 7 months he's showing real promise, and I want to give him the best chances of getting on some birds and getting some experience (w/out going to SD). I know SL area will get hit hard, but even if he gets on some hens it's worth it to me. :)

Back