Spaying female bird dogs

Quailnerd

It’s been a decade since I’ve had a female dog.. I need opinions on spaying a hunting dog as it relates to desire and drive, and does it truly slow down a dog. If my new pup two years from now is dynamite obviously I would consider breeding her, but if not spay and be done with it. I know there is a health side to this question but really only interested in performance side.. thanks

I've have had 3 female Drahts, I have 2 in the house now. One is spayed and one intact female. there is absolute no difference in their desire and drive.

The two females I have now are intact. The two before were both spayed later in life when they were under for something else. If you decide to spay I wouldn’t worry about it the desire and drive should already be set at 2. If for some reason you had a late bloomer I guess I could see waiting until 3

My current Springer was spayed at 18 months. She's now about 6 1/2 and she still bounces off the walls and is a fireball in the field. She has lost absolutely nothing.

I got tired of males killing plants, fighting and all the other annoying male stuff years ago. Heat cycles and neighbors' males hanging around didn't thrill me either so I decided all my dogs would be spayed females from there on out. I'm on my 5th now. She will be spayed this summer. My 4 year old got fat and listless around 2. Vet told me some do that. I told him, I thought that was a myth and never experienced it. He said luck of the draw. Flashforward a year. Took her in and asked for a hypothyroid test. Yup! now she's great. I won't have anything else. So much easier, healthier and have never seen a difference in drive.

I think you have already gotten your answer but I'll add my 2 cents. I'm on my third female Brittany and all have been spayed. Absolutely no problem on the performance side. I've had them spayed before their first heat cycle, after their first heat cycle and also when they were 1-2 years old. Really haven't notice any difference. But I would wait until she is at least 1.5 - 2 years old.

Yep, agree with the above. My 13 yr old spayed bitch still hunted hard this last fall. My 3 year old is intact only because she has only come in season once, in her line they seem to come in season only every couple of years so seems like there is no hurry.

I have had two spayed females. I didn't see any change in either of them. I hunted my Vizsla last winter at 14.5 yo and shot my limit. She has slowed but its because she's old.

You should do some research. Most females in my reading need to go thru a second heat cycle to develop a full skeletal maturity. If spayed younger some say can lead to acl and joint problems ? Do your own research. There is some controversy.
I knew a retired vet/gsp breeder once. He told me to wait until your dog is close or fully developed. My current vet says it doesn't matter, but I wait just in case!! My girl will be 1 in May. She just had here 1st heat cycle. I'll spay here sometime this summer.

Genetics play a larger role in your dog’s health then timing of neutering/spay. We should be able to selectively remove genetic faults out of our favorite breeds given we have medical records for several generations in order to make positive improvements. Our health is driven by genetics, as is your dogs. Choose wisely.

I have to agree with Dustin and birddude. I noticed physical development in my ES's body around two, and second heat cycle. My vet also said spay anytime (right away). I don't understand why they (vet) would advise this...trouble making payroll perhaps? Me, I'll wait until I feel my dog, male or female, reaches what I believe is adult age (physically), before I spay or neuter them.

I would also add, I’ve had two female dogs that became incontinent way too early in their lives, and there is speculation that being spade way too early as puppies was the culprit. I wouldn’t get the procedure done until at least the first heat cycle and/or one year old.

Wait to spay!!!!!!!!!! I get the arguments for the mess etc. I breed dogs as a pretty serious hobby. I have been doing it for almost 2 decades. I give a health guarantee to all my buyers. But if you spay or neuter your pet before 2 years of age, your guarantee is void. We all know that dogs are still "filling out" and maturing until at least 18 months. The bones in a dogs rear legs stop growing at differnet points in those first two years. If you take the testosterone or progesterone out of that dog too early you create undue stress on the dogs joints. To answer the original question I don't think it deters their drive, that is bred into the dog, but it will effect their health if done too early. Incontinence is another factor I have seen in a few dogs that are spayed early.

All I can add is what a couple VERY respected & experienced vets have told me. And it follows what goldenboy said above. Whether male or female, wait until they're 2 to neuter/spay. Then do it, unless you're an experienced, conscientious breeder. My opinion is that most hobby breeding, one-offs, breeding for nostalgia's sake, etc. usually doesn't do a breed as a whole any favors. 🍿

I had my british yellow lab spayed around 6 months of age, based on the advice of my vet. I use a wellness plan which requires me to pay 35 bucks/month and one of the perks of having this plan comes with spaying or neutering. It is a laser-guided procedure which greatly reduces the risk for infection. I intend to continue to do it on the next dog I have too. My dog has never been a work horse. I don't hunt her all day for days on end and I never will. She is generally very calm and submissive. She is also a fantastic bird dog.

Back