Southwest MN weekend trip

mnaj_springer

Ok, so I've moved from central MN where I found some "honey hole" type spots, but that's relative to the surrounding area (nothing to write home about) and I'm now in northern MN. So that combined with what will be a 4 month old baby at the start of pheasant season means I will have limited time to hunt and would like to make it "worth my while" if you know what I mean.

So, with the preface completed, does anyone have some suggestions for a weekend trip in SW MN? You don't have to give up your spot, I'm pretty good at spotting nice cover and such, but a push in the right direction would be a huge help. I'm asking so early because I really need to plan ahead.

Thanks guys (& gals)!

find the interactive map on the dnr's website....look where the most public land is...wma's, wpa's, walk in areas, etc...you have already decided to go SW...you are headed in the right direction as far as habitat, it seems to me.

Congrats on the new baby MNAJ :10sign:

I also will be doing some exploring in the SW this fall. I haven't decided whether to try the Canby/Marshall area or more in the St. James area... either way I don't expect much help but will be a learning and exploring experience. ;)

I just started hunting SW MN about 3 - 4 years ago. Originally I started south of the Twin Cities, then migrated to mainly west of the Twin Cities. I have now hunted in about 10 counties in the far SW part of the state ...

My take on SW MN is to get out and walk. Weekends are much busier, but it seems so many people are just driving around.

I just started hunting SW MN about 3 - 4 years ago. Originally I started south of the Twin Cities, then migrated to mainly west of the Twin Cities. I have now hunted in about 10 counties in the far SW part of the state ...

My take on SW MN is to get out and walk. Weekends are much busier, but it seems so many people are just driving around.

That will not be a problem for me. My dogs would give me evil stares if they didn't get to do what they love!

Used to hunt Lincoln county along with the amount of public land u get loads if hunters close lodging kinda wreck it the 1st few wks hunted Marshall area & north of there for years had to bail hunted SW MN last year very happy with our success trust the MN DNR reports hunt areas with proper habitat & u will find birds trust me...

Late late season strait west is decint opener & until crops off be better off in SW MN it took me longer to drive down to my hunt area then It did to actually get my limit hunting a few times last year...

I haven't hunted the area in four years as I've been having better luck a little further north. However I do have a motel reservation in Marshall for the second weekend as I'll be in SD opening weekend. Try the Ivanhoe area. You'll find birds at the Anderson WMA and down the road west at the little WPA on the corner. Fair amount of people but I've always found birds. Many times I'll go in as people are leaving a spot and find birds. I know everyone thinks they have great dogs but ours do pretty well:thumbsup:

I huntil the Marshall area and it is good. Find the waterfowl production areas (steel shot only) and wma's and jump in.

Back