South Dakota or Kansas

Ok, I am getting down to it now. I was originally planning on taking a trip to both places, but now must decide on only 1 (wife's orders). Doesn't help that I have 3 other pleasure trips I am taking. Anyway, I would appreciate some honest advice on which is the better state for me to visit for a long weekend hunting trip for some birds. The pros and cons of each are greatly appreciated.

Good question. I was thinking about heading to Kansas for a mixed bag hunt myself. Maybe meet up with some other Iowegens a maake a UPH hunt out of it.

I just got my Hunter safety card :thumbsup: I am heading to Kansas, Castle Rock Area to hunt WIA I would love to go to SD but it is a little cheaper to hunt Kansas right now.

Can you hold out on your decision long enough to see how the nesting season goes? If your mostly targeting pheasants it might be good strategy.

That being said I've been to SD at least a 15 times and Kansas only once but if given a choice of only one for this years trip I might pick KS. There are areas of KS where a guy could target huntable populations of pheasants, bobwhite quail and prairie chickens all in the same day. All on public land.

That is a big draw for me. Shooting a limit of public land roosters in SD is a feat I've accomplished many times over. But flushing a big covey of Bob's, trying to harvest one each of the above species in the same day, chasing roosters in the milo stubble...........That's all new experiences for me and a little more interesting at this point in my life than a typical (as good as it is) SD pheasant hunt.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
Yes, wait a little to make your choice. I have hunted SD 4 times and it was always awesome. Well one year was tough, we had to actually hunt 4 hours to limit out. Hunt Kansas a lot, and only once was it better than SD for the number of birds seen and taken. Kansas has more areas for public and I enjoy hunting longer and working the dog. You get to hunt the whole season for 72.50 instead of two 5 day periods for over a 100. You get to hunt earlier in the day and your limit is 4. Both are tremendous fun , you should experience them both at some point!

Chompin at the bit already to give KS a try this year! Both for the extra rooster allowed & the chance at a pheasant/quail mixed bag + it's closer to me in CO! Nothing against SD... :thumbsup:

Back