South Dakota Opener

I for one will be leaving Thursday afternoon heading just north of Pierre to meet up with some old army buddies of mine. One guy is still in the Army and bringing his son for the first time, hope he likes doing dishes and cleaning birds. Helps if he can fetch, a beer from the frig for the old guys.

( :

im now living in Pierre... but I will be hunting on my own land down in Winner, SD.

pheasant season always open on the third Saturday of Oct.

after living in pierre, and the job i do, i see pheasants every day... youre gonna have a great hunt...

I am headed to Redfield from the 22-26 for my first 5 day allotment. This will be my 4th year hunting public land in South Dakota. In my limited opinion SD has had the best public land hunting I have found. I have hunted (MN, Iowa, Kansas, Colorado). I still have an aversion to paying $100/gun or more to hunt private land in SD so we hunt the walk-ins and ditches at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong I just this weekend payed $60 to get my dog on some wild pheasants outside of Sterling, but once the season starts I'll do the walk-in and private land with permission.

I'll be bringing back some friends and hunting the opener. Really looking forward to it as usual. I hunt the Burke/Gregory area. Sounds like corn is going to be coming out here in the next couple weeks, might work out just right.

Don't get me wrong I just this weekend payed $60 to get my dog on some wild pheasants outside of Sterling, but once the season starts I'll do the walk-in and private land with permission.

How did you pay to get your dog on wild birds? I thought wild birds couldn't be hunted until the season opened in Nov. What am I missing?

I belong to the Colorado Gun Dog Club and a guy in the club has a priviate game reserve that he opens Oct 1st. He might put them out in the spring and let them grow, I'm not sure. But there are no feeders and the roosters had grass hoppers in their craw. I can get you the name and number if your interested, just PM me.

I have a guy here that charges 20 dollars per bird if you kill one these are somwhat wild they are the escapees from his pheasant and quail pens

Back