South Dakota Autumn hunting dreams dashed...for now

Bob Peters

I hunt with some good buddies every fall, usually duck hunting ND. It's something we all look forward to very much. The last few years I've been trying to convince everyone that we should go pheasant hunting one year instead of ducks. With the Canadian border closed everyone is predicting ND will be packed with duck hunters. I thought it'd be the perfect year for a rooster trip. I had gotten a farmers number several years ago and told he ran good hunting trips, wild birds, word of mouth only, dirt cheap compared to everything else I've seen on this site. I talked to him last year, but the area was so flooded the hatch was bad and he didn't see much for birds so I didn't go. I talked to him this week and he said it's dry as a bone and birds are up compared to last year but taken on a longer average they are still way down. He said he's not taking any trips this year, but that if we were in the area he'd let us hunt free for a day. He's a really nice guy, I talked to him for about 20 minutes. Back to the drawing board for me. This guy is in the north east part of the state. However it shakes out I'm really looking forward to pheasant hunting this year. I saw birds last year around home in MN, just want to really try the SD deal sometime.

go...golfers go golfing and shoot 110...you don't have to shoot lots of birds to have fun...pick a spot...Redfield, Huron, Pierre, Aberdeen, Mitchell...big enough towns to have several motels and restaurants...I would favor the smaller of those towns, like Redfield...fewer cafes, you'll definitely meet some local farmers...scouting is much of the fun...as is chatting with farmers...hunt midweek, go when the crops are harvested, like early November or later...you'll see decent #'s of birds, it's gonna be a good year...farmers are having a very tough go of it this year, few will actually make $...lead with that reality when you start a conversation, make it about them...offer some $ to hunt their land, tell them you're brand new to SD and trying to figure things out...stay within a quadrant of highway 12 on the north, 81 on the east, I-90 on the south, and the missouri river on the west...chamberlain, gregory, winner are good, but are notorious for higher $ pay to hunt operations...lots of good CREP land within 20 miles or so either side of the James River...if you're near highway 281, say 30-50 miles either side of it, you'd be doing OK...once there, you can ask around for pay to hunt access...people that don't normally do it may this year...actually, you could use the ND border as your northern boundary of the quadrant...should be decent all the way up there, too...

And take a day and go hunt that guys land...now is the time to solidify that friendship, not when bird#’s are way up and he’s mr popular!

Benelli Banger you hit it right on the head! Go! Meet the local guy you have connections with. Build a relationship. Bring Minnesota gifts. South Dakota people love walleye! Sometimes it takes a few years to build that solid bunch of places that usually hold birds. Nothing better than being there in person making connections.

I agree with BB, our first year we just drove up and knocked on doors. Found lots of friendly people and had a great trip. You should also look into left over waterfowl tags for SD. They have limited draw which I like so everything isn't pounded. The first two weeks of season are tough when new and knocking doors. After that it gets easier and more crops will be out.

We chose smaller towns to stay away from crowds. Hunted private and public. Shot lots of ducks on public and most roosters on private or ditch hunting.

I would agree with what BB and others said. No time like the present to get out there and get your feet wet. Put some time in on public and you will have some success. Spend some time trying to meet some landowners and start to build a relationship. Even if someone doesn’t allow you to hunt give them a token of your appreciation for taking the time to talk to you. Good luck.

To hear you guys talk we don’t have walleye here. Lol. In all likelihood our fishing much exceeds that of MN. Our regs are for sure better!

However, it is polite to come bearing gifts when asking to hunt. Good luck!

Bring gifts from Minnesota...wild rice, smoked fish, blueberry pies, etc
To hear you guys talk we don’t have walleye here. Lol. In all likelihood our fishing much exceeds that of MN. Our regs are for sure better!

Pretty sure a busy farmer would accept some!!!!😋

I know your fishing is fantastic but I know lots of farmers who don't fish but love the taste of walleye. When they say things like, "Do you fish much in Minnesota? I sure do love the taste of walleye! Those statements are a kind way to say bring me some walleye and we will be good friends! Who says farmers are dumb?

I would agree with what BB and others said. No time like the present to get out there and get your feet wet. Put some time in on public and you will have some success. Spend some time trying to meet some landowners and start to build a relationship. Even if someone doesn’t allow you to hunt give them a token of your appreciation for taking the time to talk to you. Good luck.
I gave a guy a 1978 Pepsi bottle, and he let me hunt. It was over by Gregory.

Back